cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixilated picture - again

ugavine
Tuning in

Nearly twelve months ago I reported pixilated pictures on multiple channels.  Went through all the usual checks, signal strength, check cables, etc.  Eventually VM upgraded me to a Tivo box as well as cable work being done at the box in the street.  Fault was fixed for about two months and started creeping back again.

It's now getting ridiculous.  Recorded a film off Legend a couple of days ago, just watched it and the picture quality was appalling.

Picture on HD channels is normally fine, so it's obvious that songal strength is being reduced on the lower channels.

Can someone advise if Sky will give me a better picture?

thx.

8 REPLIES 8

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

Do you have another box, if you do does it have the same problem on the same channels?

No I don't have another box.  But it is frequently the +1 channels, sci-fi, Legend and occasionally C4.  But these were rhe same channels that had the issues on the previous box.  Cabling including be cabled to a different street cabinet was done.  I really think it it VM strangling the signal of the smaller channels.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ugavine wrote:

Can someone advise if Sky will give me a better picture?

Any digital TV system is prone to pixellation if there is a signal fault. And no, VM don't intentionally degrade any TV signals, that would cause service faults which they would have to attend - what reason would they have to do this?

Report your fault to VM and they will attend and investigate. A fault-free service is part of your subscription.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

> Report your fault to VM and they will attend and investigate. A fault-free service is part of your subscription.

Really don't have the patience to sit in their call queue again.  Easier to just cancel my DD and move to Sky.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cancelling your DD will not cancel your contract, but just cause issues with your credit file if you assume otherwise.

VM staff should respond on this forum in a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ugavine 
Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.
Apologies for any TV picture issues. We've ran a check here and no issues or outages are occuring that would be causing this.
Please could you go to the settings menu on the TV box for me and ensure the picture resolution is set to 'automatic'. If it was not already, set it to that and monitor it. Can you confirm that the cable is securely connected to both the set top box and the TV - disconnect and reconnect the cable to be sure. Can you try a different HDMI cable as well or a different port on the TV if able to do so? 
Also is the TV box connected directly to the TV?
Keep me posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

700+ Boomerang channels 100% pixilated today.

Checks have already been done, different hdmi cables and even different tv.  The box was swapped out last year too.

Tried calling 150 and it's sending a link to a mobile then cut off the call... I DO NOT OWN A MOBILE PHONE!

Hi Ugavine, 

Thanks for coming back to us about your pixilating TV service, I am sorry this is still an ongoing issue! 

Would you be able to supply a picture of the pixilation please so we can see what is happening? 

Does the pixilation happen only on Live TV or On Demand/recordings too? 

Is your TV a smart TV? If so, does the issue continue if you load up an app through the TV? 

Thanks,

Megan_L