cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Stream box not booting up.

MontyPup
On our wavelength

I initially followed all of the instructions received with the Stream box and it didn't work at all. No lights, therefore I assumed no power. Process of elimination I've managed to work out that the power adapter doesn't work and I've swapped it for a spare (which doesn't have an ethernet socket). The Stream box now lights up but the welcome screen only flickers on for a few seconds then goes off. I tried unplugging the USB and plugging it back in while holding the on button but the welcome screen doesn't stay on for even 5 seconds. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your help. I dread phoning them so I might wait and see if it's picked up.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MontyPup

Unplug the USB from the back of the box and then hold the power button on the front of the box while  plugging the USB back in. (Keep hold of the power button while doing this)

Keep holding the power button in when the Welcome screen appears for 5 seconds and then let go. 

A menu will appear. Now tap the power button to select which reset option (hard or soft) you prefer. I would try the soft reset option first, and if that fails try the hard reset.

Then hold the power button again for 5 seconds on the one selected option to reset it. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I read this in an earlier post and I've tried it already. The stream box doesn't seem to stay on long enough for the menu to appear. The welcome screen only flickers on for a few seconds then my TV reverts to No Signal despite following those instructions.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @MontyPup 

You should call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faults

When calling Faults you will hear the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and either send out a replacement power adapter or new box

Or wait a day or two and a member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you..

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for your help. I dread phoning them so I might wait and see if it's picked up.

MontyPup
On our wavelength
  • Update: managed to find a 2amp power adapter and it works perfectly. I'll still ask VM for a replacement since we prefer to connect to the hub with an ethernet cable. Would never have got this far without the help from this community. Thank you!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @MontyPup 

Thanks for updating the thread.

I'm pleased to see that you've managed to finally get the Stream box working by swapping the power for a 2amp one of your own.

Yes, I agree you still need a proper, working one to be supplied by VM. Hopefully the forum team will pick this up in a day or two to save you phoning in.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi @MontyPup 

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for your first posts. 

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your stream box not booting up. We are glad to see you have been able to resolve this issue with a power plug. Do you still need a replacement from our team? We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

MontyPup
On our wavelength

Thanks but we have arranged for a replacement to be sent. 

Thanks for coming back to us MontyPup and I'm glad that you have been able to arrange for a replacement to be sent.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L