cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contradicting information about adding Stream to an existing contract

RobD6
Tuning in

Hi there,

I already subscribe to Virgin TV, and I'd like to get a stream box for a room that I can't easily run a virgin cable to (but has Ethernet). This section of the FAQ says it's possible to do that:

"Remember that Stream needs to be plugged into your TV. So if you’ve already got Virgin TV, and all the TVs in your home have a Virgin TV box, you’ll already be enjoying our top-notch service. If you’ve got a telly without Virgin TV, then add Stream to enjoy the benefits of a Smart TV (like accessing On Demand apps), rolled into the flexibility of extra entertainment subscriptions and over 40 free channels."

But when I phoned the number, the agent said that you can't have both the regular TV box and a stream box. 

Which is right?

Thanks!

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's poor webpage editing that has never been corrected.

No, you cannot have IPTV (Stream) & broadcast TV (TV360,V6 or TiVO) on the same account. They are two different technologies that are licenced separately by the broadcasters & cannot be mixed. There are also no recording facilities on Stream.

From the Stream FAQs in the sticky thread at the top of this board:

"I already have one of your TiVo/V6/360 boxes and would like a Stream too.
I'm afraid that our Stream device is not available to be taken alongside our existing core/pay TV service."

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Stream-from-Virgin-Media/Stream-FAQs/td-p/5069613 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's poor webpage editing that has never been corrected.

No, you cannot have IPTV (Stream) & broadcast TV (TV360,V6 or TiVO) on the same account. They are two different technologies that are licenced separately by the broadcasters & cannot be mixed. There are also no recording facilities on Stream.

From the Stream FAQs in the sticky thread at the top of this board:

"I already have one of your TiVo/V6/360 boxes and would like a Stream too.
I'm afraid that our Stream device is not available to be taken alongside our existing core/pay TV service."

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Stream-from-Virgin-Media/Stream-FAQs/td-p/5069613 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

RobD6
Tuning in

Ah, that's a shame. Thanks for the info.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

"If you’ve got a telly without Virgin TV" means what it says: you don't have VM's TV. However, why not simply say "If you don't have Virgin TV".

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

It's in the section titled "Can I get Stream if I’m already with Virgin Media?", so the implications seemed to me that it's if you do have Virgin Media, but one TV without it.

maxlugg
Dialled in

I've just been through the same loop. The website  https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/stream says:

"Remember that Stream needs to be plugged into your TV. So if you’ve already got Virgin TV, and all the TVs in your home have a Virgin TV box, you’ll already be enjoying our top-notch service. If you’ve got a telly without Virgin TV, then add Stream to enjoy the benefits of a Smart TV "

That's unambiguous to me, you can have Stream on any TV set that's not already connected.

I've been on the phone to Sales for 20 minutes this afternoon. A Stream box is exactly what I need for my upstairs TV and I was expecting to get one for a £35 one-off activation fee. The best I was offered was another VM box for an extra £30 a month on a new 18-month contract.

The website needs fixing.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@maxlugg wrote:

The website needs fixing.

As us VIPs & many other customers have told them since Virgin Stream was launched in April last year!