cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetrical speeds Add on - not available

pob42
On our wavelength

Just been on live chat to try and add the symmetrical speeds to my Gig1 plan. 
Was told it wasn’t available to me as I’m still in contract. 
I thought this upload add on was only a 30 day rolling contract anyway so what difference does it make?

Yes, I’m in a XGS-PON area with a Hub 5x.

33 REPLIES 33

garethstamp
Joining in

ISPreview have done an article about this here

ISPreview queried the situation with Virgin Media, which confirmed that their 1Gbps and 2Gbps packages don’t come with symmetric speeds and that those customers who live in areas served by nexfibre’s network can add the optional upload speed add-on for £6 extra per month. In addition, Virgin told us that all customer care agents have now been fully briefed on Gig2, and they are currently reminding them of their processes on how to add the service to accounts.

From reading the comments it doesn't look like people are having much success.

The comments on that article suggest that there are in fact two rates for symmetrical speed. 

It's apparently £6/month for brand new XGS-PON customers but £11 for existing ones.

It would be nice if the VM forum team could clarify this please. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Is this still an issue. I’d take up the service for £6 /month but not £11. I have the 5X router. 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The only announcement is that the symmetrical add-on of £6 is for those on nexfibre's network. There can be no question that this will also apply for VM's own network, but there's no word on this yet.

Edited to add that for Gig2 the advertised upload speed is 200Mbps, so going symmetrical should result in an increase of 1800Mbps to 2000Mbps.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Martyn
Up to speed

was recently trialing the service, and couldn't actually offer any good deal, got referred through friends and family but the deal for some reason wasnt as goodas the current £33 they got for 1gb for volt, so the guy sorted thato ut for us, questioned about the upload addon and he said he'd call me back 2 hours or so, but within 15 minutes he actually called back?! I honestly wasnt expecting it, I miss the uk call centers, the guy was soo nice to chat to and have a laugh with, and was joking around and stuff and even said he learned something  new about adding the upload addon, whats weird is however he done it he added the tv steam box for free, which I don't need as didnt use the last one really -.-

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Refjamie
Tuning in

Can I join this boat?  I'm a new customer (3 days) in a nextfibre area. Really helpful engineer said it was available and other customers in my area have it.  Spoke to 5 different people at VM and none of them have the slightest clue what I'm asking for.  All think I want to go from G1 to G2. Left hand right hand? 

Refjamie
Tuning in

Following up - Thanks to Community Support Ilyas who has taken my case and successfully added the symmetrical speed boost.

I've gone from 20down/8 from my old provider to this >> 

SCR-20240307-tbxh-2.png

Riche90
Dialled in

What's the damage to take my gig xgs package to symmetrical 2 gig? 

jhuk
Trouble shooter

£96pm

Whatever you are paying now + £6 a month