cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gigabit router speed but not on devices

BertyBoats
Tuning in

I've seen a couple of similar posts but not sure what the fix is.

We recently had 1gb FTTP installed and it seemed fine to start with, but yesterday I noticed that I wasn't getting speeds of more than about 40mbps on wifi devices. I attributed this to the old powerline adapters that I've got from my old broadband so I've spent the morning doing a full reset and firmware update on everything to see if that would help... It didn't.

I connected to the router via ethernet and it's still the same issue. So ran the VM diagnostic on the website which basically just says to factory reset the router.. no luck either.

I've just ran the samknows speed test and attached a screenshot below (the device speed is while connected via ethernet).

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here?

Screenshot 2023-09-23 102449.png

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What make and model are the powerline adapters?  Do they have 1GB ports or are they limited by 10/100 ports ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

In the Realspeed test shown, is that a computer with a 10/100/1000 network adaptor connected directly to a port on the Hub.?

Or is is a computer with network adaptor that is plugged into a 10/100 socket of one of your older Powerline adaptors ?

BertyBoats
Tuning in

Hi thanks for the replies so far.

The powerline adapters are TP-Link AV600 , which are limited to 10/100 mbps ethernet and 300mbps wifi. 

So should still get 200-300mbps in other rooms away from the router on wifi.

When I ran the test I was connected directly to the router with the powerline adapters disconnected and turned off.

The laptop I'm using has a WiFi 6 AX201 / gigabit network card so should get full speed on wifi when I'm near the router and when I'm connected via ethernet.

As a side note I've already requested the boosters/pods from virgin but have been told they don't have any that work with the new 5x hubs so have to wait or splash out.

@BertyBoats wrote:

The powerline adapters are TP-Link AV600 , which are limited to 10/100 mbps ethernet and 300mbps wifi. 

So should still get 200-300mbps in other rooms away from the router on wifi.

Nope

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for taking the time to explain my ignorance of all things tech and for providing a helpful answer to my problem. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Basically powerline adapters have their uses, but they are not the best solution.  It all depends on the house wiring, same ring circuit, etc. etc.  If possible try to setup a cabled solution, and don't forget you can run ethernet cable externally to get from A to B.  It doesn't always have to be an internal run.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've already got a couple of cable runs which I've used to hardwire the TVs and home security system. It's the other devices that I rely on the wifi for laptops/tablets etc.

The thing I'm having trouble with is that the wifi and ethernet speed direct from the router (all powerline adapters are disconnected and switched off) is still only sitting around 40mbps.. that is worse than my old FTTC superfast connection that I've just gotten rid of. 

I've spoken to VM about getting the boosters/pods but apparently they don't have any that work with the newer 5x hubs so I've been told I have to wait until they have some.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One suggestion, instead of the VM pods, it to purchase a good quality Wireless Access point. This can be wired into the hub and it will certainly improve your WiFi. Another one could be added at a later date it it’s required.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2