cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for pre installation work - can I check with council?

Chez92
Up to speed

Long story short, delayed installation due to preinstallation work needed, it's been an absolute faff of people constantly telling me it's "today" or being cut off while being transferred to somebody that can help. At one point they told me they needed to contact the landlord when I own my house so I've come to the conclusion nobody there can see the information I need.

Appreciate it might vary by region but has anybody had any luck going straight to the council to find out the status of the permit? It's the not knowing that's killing me

Edit - also can't check any of this online as I've moved house and can't set up a new account with the same e-mail until it's been installed, ridiculous.

66 REPLIES 66

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's a good plan. Enjoy your Christmas, without Virgin! 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

HI Chez92, thanks for the message. 

One date would be for the prepull works and the other the installation. 

Please let us know how it goes on the 19th. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi Chris

As expected the fault engineer came out on the 29th asking what the issue was, told them I hadn't even had it installed yet, he said I needed cable work doing outside which we know. He took some pictures and sent them to somebody but who knows where they'll end up.

We both know my installation won't be happening on the 19th, can you just get in touch with the contractors (I think the engineer said it was Serco?) and tell me when they're going to come and dig up my drive please? Even a rough estimate would be better than "it can happen any time between now and installation" because evidently that's not how it works

Edit - In fact I need to know exactly when they're doing the preinstall work because they're going to have to either dig up my drive or lift and relay some flags so I'll need to speak to them on the day to plan it out

Thank you for that information Chez92.

I am happy to take a look into this for you. 

I will private message you now to confirm the details. 

^Martin

Chez92
Up to speed

Just to update the thread, the preinstall team have just arrived to start the digging! I'm going to ring the call centre once they're finished to see if my install date of the 19th can be brought forward but just happy to see some actual physical progress

Aaand they've gone. No digging done, they've just spray painted a line on the road - are they coming back? If so when?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If the spray paint is on the pavement, they will now be applying to the council for permission to dig. If all goes well you should see that appear on one.network in due course. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I'd have a bit of faith but they've been out before and figured out they need to dig, I also remember somebody on the phone telling me they'd planned the route out and this must have been the week before christmas. Ah well, Now TV activates tomorrow so at least I'll have something with a fairly stable ping for now.

Chez92
Up to speed

Hey it's me back with another flaming hot update for anybody who's interested

I got an e-mail last night saying my installation was now "on hold", then received another at about 4am saying it was scheduled for the 19th of Jan again. I then got a phonecall this morning telling me it was on hold again, asked why and they said they needed permission from my neighbour.

I decided to call back because I often get told something different, this time I was told it's permission from the council that they need; I asked to be transferred to somebody who could tell me exactly which permission they needed, they put me through to someone who told me the team didn't bring the correct tools. I kept at it and they finally transferred me to the Construction team - the best team at Virgin and the one I've been wanting to speak to for so long!

The Construction team explained that they need to dig 7 metres and that this goes across the access to two of my neighbours drives. They then told me they are in the process of finding out who owns this bit of land, I've had a quick look at the title plan online and it doesn't look like it's my neighbours so I'm praying it's council owned; if so in theory things should move forward quite quickly, if it's owned by a 3rd party (all of the houses on this estate are leasehold which obviously is concerning) then it could take longer or even just be denied wayleave.

Just as a bit of feedback my issue isn't so much with how long this is taking, it's the fact that every time I ring up I'm told something different by somebody who evidently doesn't have everything there in front of them so they might tell me it's all looking fine then next time I ring up it's all gone wrong again - I get my hopes up and then have them dashed and that's the worst bit.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

In your position I'd phone the council and ask if they own the pavement. If it's still owned by the estate developer you might find it quicker to approach them yourself, as Virgin are not exactly proactive in these things.

You could also keep an eye on one.network which shows most plans to dig roads and pavements

- jpeg1