cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin technicians left outdoor cables unconnected and walked away

KS_
Joining in

Hi, I'm disgusted by the customer service over the phone. The guy I spoke to (he was from the UK centre) was dismissive and uninterested in the problem. I almost exclusively work from home and use remote computing over a VPN, so require a fast and stable connection. I'm reaching out here as a last resort, as the internet outage has had a serious impact on my job and caused me to miss deadlines.

Since Gig1 was installed a few months ago, the service has been beyond poor. The connection would drop every hour or so and it was infuriating for everyone in the house. Virgin sent a technician to fix it and he explained to me the signal strength was too strong so he's tweaked it and I shouldn't get any more drop outs. 

This fixed the drop outs to a degree, as I'd only get them once a day instead of every hour, but now the internet speed had dropped to ~150mpbs instead of 1gbps, so obviously not acceptable. I raised this with Virgin and they sent another hopeless technician out.

This person once again looked at the connection and said the signal strength was so weak it was a miracle we were getting any internet. He then disconnected the coax cables outside the house (not even asking us first) and said a team would "definitely" come later that day to do a repull and walked away. As he walked out, he reassured me that as soon as the repull was finished he'd happily come back and connect the coax cables again.

Well, the repull team turned up mid-afternoon the next day (Thursday 15th June), seemed to have prepared another cable, and then drove away. Since then however, the technician hasn't turned up to join the cables and we've been without the internet. I phoned Virgin and the guy on the phone told me the earliest visit for a technician was on 10th July!

I've already been without the internet for 5 days and they expect me to wait over 2 weeks to get back internet access - which two of us rely on for work. I'm seething with anger but also need access ASAP.

Am I able to couple these two cables together with an F plug adaptor?

Excuse the weeds, I'm having a new driveway installedExcuse the weeds, I'm having a new driveway installed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

This will give a temporary join until it is sorted correctly.  A bit a self amalgamating tape as well for protection would be good.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

This will give a temporary join until it is sorted correctly.  A bit a self amalgamating tape as well for protection would be good.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

KS_
Joining in

Thank you, yes I went out and bought the same kind of coupler, connected it to the coax cables and got the internet back. I'll be sure to add the tape as well.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi KS_ 👋

Thanks for posting and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm very sorry to hear about the experience you have had off of the back of service issues. I'm glad to see that you've been able to temporarily restore the Broadband service.

Please do keep us updated on how the visit goes. If you do need anything else, please let us know and our team/community will be more than happy to help.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s a bit weird. They have pulled new RG11 to the joint & then left a connection to the existing small diameter RG6. Why not replace the whole run with RG11, which will ensure the full signal gets to the wall omnibox. They are supposedly dealing with a signal deficit problem.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Mr-Dice
On our wavelength

20230627_154001.jpg

 This will work

Are you not completely ashamed at the service that your company has provided? Why is the tone of your post written as though this has been a success story?