cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Box on my land

kturbill
Joining in

Purchased a property 18 months ago, had survey done and found that the brown virgin media box was on our land. Since buying we have landscaped the front of our property.  Today vm have come to link someones house up and have dug up all my landscaped area to get to a box underground. They have now left a muddy patch. Do I have to accept this, can I ask them to move the box off my land. The owners before us were the church and there has never been any vm at our property but we are the first house in the road. The man who was digging said it hadn't been opened for years so I guess its not going to be regular however I would expect them to leave it in a better state as I have paid for landscaping. Could I get some advise please

32 REPLIES 32

Sololobo
Superstar

Check if there is a current Easement or Wayleave agreement in place. The differences are noted below. Without an Easement or Wayleave agreement Virgin Media have no rights to access private property.

An Easement only requires a one-off payment to secure permanent access whereas a Wayleave is usually a temporary agreement. Landowners can request for a previously agreed Wayleave to be renegotiated or changed to an Easement agreement but not the reverse.

A Wayleave agreement is usually an annual thing. It’s a personal contract between the provider/utility and the land owner. This means it’s not permanent and can be terminated by giving notice. That being said, the notice can be up to a year.

Only when/if a Statuary or Necessary Wayleave has been granted, which allows a provider the right to access land and install their equipment without the concurrence of the landowner, can it be enforced in perpetuity.

https://www.land-search-online.co.uk/information/obtain-copy-wayleave-agreement/

Obtaining a copy of Wayleave Agreements

Wayleave agreements must be disclosed to the Land Registry on application for a change of registration and copies can be obtained, if there are any, by obtaining a Conveyancing Deeds Search. In order to ascertain if such a document is available from the Land Registry you should look at your Title Register to see if the wayleave is referred to, which would normally be the case. At the foot of the paragraph referring to it will be a note that it has been copied (if it has), which means that a copy is available for purchase.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @kturbill,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that this has happened.

Can you please confirm if you have our services at the moment? Is this for someone in your street who has signed up to us?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thank you for getting in touch. No we don't have your service it was a rented property up the road that wanted VM.  I did contact someone at VM asking for some assistance. They are looking to see if there is a way leave and he has promised to get someone over to clean things up, so hopefully we are on our way to getting this all sorted.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'd be well advised not to leave it to them. Since you're not a customer they'll do what's best for Virgin Media, not for you. And they'll come back again and dig it up again when they want.  You need to speak to your solicitor. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Is it on your land, or is it on a service strip?

When we moved in to the property it was very run down and the front of the property was totally overgrown. We had a GPS boundary survey done to check what land was ours and this section was our land. So we landscaped it and put in a new driveway, grassed it all. There is a green box above ground and we just thought if they needed access they would just open the box, we had no idea there was also a pit until they were digging up the ground. To be honest if it had just been the box we wouldn't have bothered but we spent many man hours and lots of money landscaping it and for them just to come along and do this was really disappointing.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

And until you set the rules they will consider it their right to come back and dig it up again whenever they wish. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@kturbill wrote:

When we moved in to the property it was very run down and the front of the property was totally overgrown. We had a GPS boundary survey done to check what land was ours and this section was our land. So we landscaped it and put in a new driveway, grassed it all. There is a green box above ground and we just thought if they needed access they would just open the box, we had no idea there was also a pit until they were digging up the ground. To be honest if it had just been the box we wouldn't have bothered but we spent many man hours and lots of money landscaping it and for them just to come along and do this was really disappointing.

where is the green box above ground - is that also on 'your' land - if so i think your survey lied or lets say got it wrong - cabinets are not on private property so if thats positioned on the green strip then it certainly looks like an access strip

that said to leave it in the state they did is not on 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The photo doesn't show a cabinet, so it looks like that is not on the OP's land.  The access pit is on his land

- jpeg1

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In my old area there was an area like this, the gardens were communal when Telewest built the network, after some time they then sectioned off the gardens and made them individual. 

The customers had to leave the boxes available for access and simply put a nice plantpot on