cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Contractor damaged home alarm

Need-help
Joining in

Hello

I am not a VM customer but Virgin Media contractors were carrying out road works outside my property when they accidentally disconnected power to the property. When power was re-established it triggered the house alarm which couldnt not be turned off using the usual code. The tenant living at the property alerted one of the engineers outside. An engineer came in and disabled power to the alarm and left. The alarm now now longer works and needs to be recommissioned and I request a contact for someone from VM who can help organse a repair of the alarm.

6 REPLIES 6

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Need-help, thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community.

We're really sorry to hear about what's happened.

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner. 

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel

Client62
Legend

You need to maintain the alarm. The backup battery for the alarm panel has failed, this is why it was silent during the power cut and has come back on in a different state after the power cut.

Expect to discover the tenant disconnected the mains power to the alarm panel.

It is just not credible that a VM engineer or contractor would enter a non customer's property and would tamper with the electrical equipment.

NigelGoodwin
On our wavelength

As Client62 says, while VM may have killed the power, they haven't killed the alarm - it's faulty, and most likely because it's not been serviced, and the back-up battery has died.

I presume the 'engineer' who disconnected the alarm was probably the electricity company engineer who came out to repair the damage in the road caused by VM.

So you need to contact your alarm company, it's no fault of VM's.

Nope  - the tenant did not disable the alarm. Please don't make unfounded statements.

The alarm was in perfect working order before the incident as it has been tested.

Sorry, but I don't believe that - essentially you've had a power cut, that's all. Following a power cut it's EXTREMELY common for the alarm to be activated, because (as I've already suggested) it's not been properly maintained, and the backup battery is dead.

As far as 'working' goes, it will have been working OK, until there's a power cut, which then shows the fault - it was a long way from 'working perfectly' though.

As far as VM goes, from other posts on here, you can't get them to sort out what is their fault, never mind something that isn't their fault at all.