cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router upgrade

Mh62
Tuning in

Hi

I received an email that my existing Hub 2 is old and can upgrade to Hub 4. As I do not use the router WiFi and router is set to modem mode, is it worth upgrading. As pain to recreate port forwarding and ip reservation addresses.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes the 2 is very old and the 4 uses more channels.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi

Did not answer the question, as I don’t use the router WiFi. What benefit are the extra channels.

Thanks

Not much that I can see but do look at the ducumented password issues https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/wireless-routers/52755/virgin-media-new-super-hub-review

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The older SH2's can only bond 8 channels, but the new Hub 3, 4 and 5 can bond the full 32 channels. It gives more redundancy and performance by utilising the full range of the available networking capacity.

Note however the Hub 4 is the only Hub with a fan, and as such needs to be clear of obstructions etc.  They are also a bit prone to sucking up dust and this reduces the thermal cooling of the unit. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Did not answer the question, as I don’t use the router WiFi. What benefit are the extra channels." They are not WiFi channels, but DOCSIS channels carrying the data over the coax connection.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2