cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unservicable property fiasco!

EFLL14
Joining in

Hi,

In early April I "contracted" with VM to supply Broadband to my Daughter's flat in Loughborough. Install date was the 29th of April.

One working day before install it was cancelled and arbitrarily changed to the 14th of May.

Couldn't do that, so arranged for the 16th, shortly before that they again changed that to the 15th (yes, a day earlier).

Couldn't do that, so arranged to do it on the 16th (yes, the day it was last supposed to be.

On the 15th they again changed the install date to the 31st of May!

By now I'm getting a little bit annoyed and spent yet another hour on the phone only to learn that the property was unservicable because of "safety and cabling issues"

I have received two emails stating such and was assured the "contract" was cancelled (you know, the one that never existed because VM could never supply the product).

I've just had a call from "cancellations" asking me why I want to cancel? Have I had an engineer visit? and other nonsense, like , how do I knoe the property is "unservicable"? Then he hung up before I could ask a few questions of my own... Nice!

You couldn't make this up!

Can someone from the team help me out here? I need to get this settled once and for all. This is beyond a joke now.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Some further info on the property might help with possible reasons for refusal.

What floor is the flat on?
Is the flat in a purpose-built block of flats or a flat conversion of a building?
Do you know how/if existing properties are serviced by VM (such as individual external VM connections feeding individual flats or is there a single communal VM feed to the building which is then split to individual flats within the building)?

From past topics on here, VM regularly struggles to install (via external means) when the flat is above first floor. Past installations (by previous cable TV companies etc.) which involve cables running over roofs might no longer be deemed as 'serviceable' by VM now (because VM installers don't seem to do roof access along with work at heights).

Other random issues might include wayleave access from the freeholder (if there have been problems with VM installing in the past). Issues with running cables internally in communal areas of flats has also been cited as a past problem on here.

There is also the VM 'X-factor' where a random outcome of refusal happens, even when everything looks like it should be possible (often to do with the cost of an individual installation)

You should get a reply from the VM forum team on here usually within a few days. They might be able to help or they may only be able to tell you the information you have already been given.

I couldn't care less about the unservicable nature of the property, all I need is a proper resolution (in writing) to the cancellation of contract. I'm fairly certain that contracting to a service you cannot supply, for whatever reason, would automatically render that contract viod.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Any contract with VM should only start once the service is activated when you have a tech install and you then would have a further 14 day cooling off period to cancel once that had happened.

If you are only seeking confirmation of the fact VM has cancelled (rather than the reasons why), wait for the VM forum team to reply on here, usually within a few days. They may offer to help or may just refer you to the pre-installation team 0800 052 1734.

Yes, the reasons are irrelevant, although it's a first floor flat with a brown VM distribution box about 2m from her bay window where the phone line goes in. Whether that's working or not we have no idea, but there are coax cables running to other flats (4 flats in the block). I just want confirmation of cancellation so we can move on.

This is what I've received in emails which I think states just that, but I'm not a lawyer!

"We are sorry to inform you that we are not serviceable to your property due to cable routing issue. We will not be able to complete the re routing of cables as per the engineers as there is safety issues."

Number-6
On our wavelength

@EFLL14 wrote:

Yes, the reasons are irrelevant, although it's a first floor flat with a brown VM distribution box about 2m from her bay window where the phone line goes in. Whether that's working or not we have no idea, but there are coax cables running to other flats (4 flats in the block). I just want confirmation of cancellation so we can move on.

This is what I've received in emails which I think states just that, but I'm not a lawyer!

"We are sorry to inform you that we are not serviceable to your property due to cable routing issue. We will not be able to complete the re routing of cables as per the engineers as there is safety issues."

There is no contract. As mentioned above, when you request to be a VM customer, any contract only starts when the service is installed and working. Now unlike Openreach, VM has no universal service obligation, basically, they don’t have to connect your daughter up if they don’t want to, for whatever reason. The Health and Safety issue, may or may not be relevant, it doesn't matter, they aren't prepared to do it - case over!

However if VM accepted the order and gave you an install date (29th April?) then you (or your daughter) are entitled to compensation from them (a little under £6 per day) as per the OFCOM regulations which VM signed up to.

Importantly said compensation is still payable even if you or they cancel. If VM decide that they won’t install then they are supposed to issue you with what is called a “cease notice’ and even then the compensation is still payable for 30 days after the date of said notice. I assume that you haven’t received any such notice?

OK, let’s assume that the email you received does constitute a ‘cease notice’. Then VM are obliged to pay you compensation from 29th April until 30 days after the date on said email, they are obliged to pay you this by cheque within, I think, 90 days. 

They won’t do it and you won't get the compensation! Well not without a fight!

Give them the benefit of the doubt, wait the 90 days and then take the matter to the Ombudsman service for independent adjudication. I’m sure that other posters on here will be more than happy to give the details you need to do this.

Interesting, thank you.

I did get this in an email on the 15th.

"

Hello,

We’re really sorry that we missed or cancelled your appointment with less than 24 hours’ notice.

We think holding our hands up when things go wrong is just as important as getting them right in the first place. That’s why you’ll see a credit of £30.49 on your next bill to make up for this."

To be honest they have actually cost me a fair bit of money, I'm still paying for a very expensive out of contract tariff from my previous provider when I should have been paying far less to them!

I won't be holding my breath though.

Edit: Sorry, I haven't received any "cease" notice, only what I posted earlier.

Hi @EFLL14, thank you for your posts.

We're really sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had and that you feel this way 😔

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel

This you won’t get.   I had these problems because the idiot install team couldn’t find the CATV hole outside my property. (New build Semi detached house near to road, it’s not difficult)  I tried to get a second opinion but help out of this lot was dismal.  Nor could they send me a reasonable accurate email to end the contract as they can only send one of a few pre filled emails from their computer system which they agreed was inaccurate.

Good luck dealing with this lot!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

This may be annoying now, but you've probably been saved a lot more grief in the longer term by going elsewhere. 

Go for the compensation, but be prepared to fight for it, particularly if VM claim they were prevented from installing due to H&S issues. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.