cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Wifi Internet problems with Hub 3

Jobie
Tuning in

I have having daily intermittent problems with my two Apple iPhones with Wifi internet and my Virgin Media Hub 3, which is rendering my home Wifi to be pretty much useless.   

The devices appear to connect to my Wifi but internet doesn’t work.  Sometimes on the iPhone WiFi settings it will say “No Internet Connection”, but not always.  However there will be no internet connection on the iPhones regardless.  

I have a wired PC, two laptops and an Android device on WiFi, and also a smart TV on the WiFi and these ALL work perfectly – the problem only appears to be with the iPhones.  (I have an old iPad Air 2 and this works fine also).

My two devices are an iPhone 11 and an iPhone SE.  Both will connect to the internet on WiFi networks outside the house (eg. My workplace) and work without any problems whatsoever.

If I do a “forget this network” and rejoin, sometimes the device will reconnect, but to be honest it is driving us crazy as my home WiFi is effectively useless and is constantly eating up mobile data. 

Doing a power off/on will sometimes resolve the problem but it is guaranteed the problem will occur again within a few hours, if not sooner.

I have tried – pin Resets, splitting the wifi Bandwidths to separate SSIDs. Static IPs, all to no avail.  I have had a Virgin engineer visit and of course his basic diagnostics found no problems.

I am at the end of my tether with this.  Is anybody able to advise?  Thanks in advance.

75 REPLIES 75

It’s only been a few days but so far no issues at all with iPhones that were previously dropping out of signal all the time. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JonnyJ

Thanks for for your reply

Please do keep us updated with how you get on, glad to hear things have improved 🙂 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Nice thanks for the update. So far Virgin have been very unhelpful about getting my hub 3 replaced. I have another engineer visit booked in on Friday. I suspect nothing will change as nobody seems to want to acknowledge the issue, despite it being well documented.

halltony
On our wavelength

I totally agree. Unless you are prepared to upgrade your broadband speed or pay for a router upgrade it seems you are stuck with a hub 3 that does not play nice with Apple products. I purchased a router myself and will sign up with another supplier as soon as they cable my street. Its so annoying that the new customer deals a so much better than what you get as a long standing loyal customer. 😡

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Dn123 and @halltony,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way in regards to the service and support. Dn123, please do let us know how the Technician visit goes, as they may be able to replace the Hub for you to prevent these issues from recurring.

halltony, in regard to the issues you're experiencing, there's only so much support both we and our teams can provide if you are unwilling to perform certain checks. I understand the frustration behind reconnecting devices, but it is one of the checks we need to run as it has been known to correct similar problems to the ones you're experiencing.

A pin-hole reset will reset the Hub to factory settings, refresh the connection to the network and install any pending updates on your Hub.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

With respect, I doubt very much that doing a pin hole reset will make any difference in resolving this issue. It’s just a default step. I have had my ‘super’ hub 3 replaced and it made no difference.  The problem is not with a particular unit, it is with the ecosystem. The ‘super’hub 3 is not fit for purpose - the sooner Virgin acknowledge this, the better. 

Well, there you go_ the engineer agreed that the issue was with the hub 3 and replaced it with a hub 5. Sorted. The problem has now completely resolved.

Omg so glad I’ve seen this! Been having this problem forever, give up using Wi-Fi on my iPhones at home and end up using all my mobile data every month.

Can somebody help?

I have seen some reports that the only fix is to get Virgin to give you a hub 5. I think perhaps they won’t do that unless you get an engineer out. 

I purchased my own router and put the hub 3 in modem mode but even that hasn’t totally fixed the issue. 

I’m hoping that BT will cable my street so I can get a more reliable service.

-t

Hi, 

I logged a call with support and highlighted this thread. It’s a known issue with the superhub 3. I insisted that an engineer cone out with a superhub 5 of us cancel .. lo and behold an engineer came out with a superhub 5, agreed and replaced the sh 3. Problem solved immediately…