cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi no longer visible on London underground

ruswit
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

I noticed for the first time today that the usual virgin media WiFi network isn't there on the tube.

Is this being phased out?

[MOD EDIT: Please see update on post 111 here]

141 REPLIES 141

I can confirm that I was running the latest version of the Connect App last night.

Thanks for confirming that ruswit.

Can you please try again with the new connection method the next time you are on the underground.

Gareth_L

Ruswit and I seem to have the same problem. I was confirming that I had used the latest version of the app.

I can confirm that after deleting the old profile and installing a new one generated by the latest version of the connect app yesterday evening, the WiFi Extra SSID was not picked up as one of My Networks at any of the 7 stations that my tube ran through, and that clicking on the SSID WiFi Extra brought up the username and password dialogue box.

I am using an iPhone SE2 MXD02B/A running the latest version of iOS, iOS 16.4, with a Virgin Mobile SIM, and I am a TV and Broadband customer as well.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

According to TFL the Virgin Media option is no longer available 

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/station-wifi

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ruswit
On our wavelength
I was able to get my phone to connect to o2's WiFi extra manually (on android) using the below steps.

1. Open WiFi settings

2. Click Add network

3. Set network name/SSID: Wifi Extra

4. Set security: WPA/WPA2/WPA3-ENTERPRISE (on my phone wpa/wpa2 and wpa3 were seperated, but it worked fine with the former)

5. Choose EAP method: Sim

6. Click Save

I am an o2 mobile customer with Volt now, so maybe it works differently if you are a Virgin customer.

Good for Android. Not good for iOS. 

Have tried to connect with WiFi extra ( I got a virgin mobile sim) manually but an asked for username password and when I put in my virgin details I just get the standard unable to join message !!

what now ?

thxs 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Timeport4, thanks for posting on our help forum ans this thread.

We're sorry to hear you were unable to connect to the London underground, please see our advice below:

The use of our Wi-Fi Hotspots has been declining in recent years. Maintaining a network of over 4 million hotspots is a significant expense, and with traffic on the decline, as well as increased usage over 4G or 5G mobile services, we want to continue investing in and providing the services our customers use and value the most.

Virgin Media customers with a mobile device will still be able to access Wi-Fi on the London Underground. From April 1st 2023, they will need to sign up and register for the new BAI/TFL service.

Sorry to hear you're getting an error each time you're attempting to join this though, have you registered and does the message you get just say 'unable to join' and do you get a further error message or code when trying it (eg wrong password)?

Let us know more and we will be here to help out.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Timeport4
On our wavelength

Ok this is not as clear as you think ! Where do you register for this ? 

only instructions I’ve seen from virgin are go to settings and try joint WiFi extra … 

thanks for your help 

Timeport4
On our wavelength

3EDBF526-5272-464B-9F17-DB30596E7DF1.png

C46CB130-CDE6-4D43-A0A6-494E78F45318.png