cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi no longer visible on London underground

ruswit
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

I noticed for the first time today that the usual virgin media WiFi network isn't there on the tube.

Is this being phased out?

[MOD EDIT: Please see update on post 111 here]

141 REPLIES 141

Hello.

We wanted to provide an update to this thread and unfortunately, this service won’t be available through Virgin Mobile.

Following Virgin Media and O2’s merger in June 2021, we're starting to move all Virgin Mobile customers over to O2’s range of plans. We started in March and will complete by end of December 2023. Once you have been moved over to O2 you'll be able to re-connect to WiFi Extra through your WiFi settings. Before this time, if you wish to continue using WiFi in the London Underground, please let us know and one of our agents can discuss what options you have but it’ll likely require you to move over to an O2 Plan.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

ModTeam

Timeport4
On our wavelength

Can’t believe this ‘investigation’ took this long to come to the result we all knew 😂

Thanks Virgin it was fun (Not!)

no news on the compensation then 😂😂

You must know which customers are connecting within the London area and are therefore most likely to be affected by this. Were the London area customers prioritised for moving to O2? 9 months for this process.  Wow. 

And how do we do that, because your customer service team on the phone seem to have no clue and are useless. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A forgone conclusion, I'm afraid.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Why are VM still advertising London Underground Wifi connectivity on their website under the Benefits page?

Free WiFi on your mobile at 4 million+ hotspots across the UK

Airports, cafes, restaurants, shops, the London Underground – get online on your mobile with free WiFi at over 4 million locations, courtesy of Virgin Media and The Cloud. Save your data for later and stay connected on the go.

They've lost the plot basically. And I expect this evening when I discuss with my housemate their response today that they'll lose a customer for all their services. 

Yes please.. Someone contact me. 

It's says that you can still connect with a virgin sim (those who have one before December 2022) 

Virgin need to clear up the information that is wrong on numerous sites etc...

Looking forward to a quick response 

I spoke to their customer service yesterday. They are clueless. You can see from the responses on twitter that they just make stuff up. The formal responses on here are embarrassing. It’s pretty clear what has happened, they turned off the wifi service before migrating people and they have not updated virgin media connect to enable us to connect to wifi extra.

Tech support yesterday said ‘it’s cos someone at the tube station has turned off the router’ - I kid you not!! 

I politely, at the risk of an accusation of a mansplain, told them that was not the case and this was not a random coffee shop but the London Underground…

I asked to get an o2 sim - they resent a VM eSIM!

A great example of how not to do change management. Imagine the amount of extra customer service calls and lost customers. They are wiping out any profit margin they had for thousands of customers. Possibly in the merger jobs are going and a lot of people there just don’t give a sht?

you get what you pay for I guess?

Get what you pay for? Not in this case... £81.75 a month TV, Broadband and landline (unused now it's VOIP) - rising by around 15% this month. £32 per month for my flatmate's mobile, rising again, £17.27 a month for my mobile plus £15 handset loan...

Whereas broadband from a competitor now full fibre and 175% of the speed, £50 a month - FreeSat is free - mobile from a competitor with the same inclusive data and unlimited text and calling - £15 per month AND WiFi on the Tube. 

No brainer. As I've said on here it the Tube WiFi was the clincher for keeping us as customers. Change management done badly.

I've spoken to their people on here by PM, and they've taken loads of details but not heard anything for 2 days now.