cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi no longer visible on London underground

ruswit
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

I noticed for the first time today that the usual virgin media WiFi network isn't there on the tube.

Is this being phased out?

[MOD EDIT: Please see update on post 111 here]

141 REPLIES 141

So why haven't you informed your customers ? You have our emails and I imagine that I'm one of many thousands of Virgin Media customers who use the Underground. I couldn't understand what was going on when the service suddenly disappeared and eventually found a note on your website, on the mobile page, that the service was discontinued as of 31st March. As others have said, TfL wifi doesn't work either (doesn't even come up) so now there is no service at all for your customers. I'm looking into changing provider.

And what is the 'new BAI/TFL service' ? The TfL website simply states that Virgin no longer supports wifi underground.

Vinyl1910
Tuning in

So... Virgin media wifi not available any more on London underground... No big announcement. 

Keep reading that if you have a virgin sim card from before December 2022 then you can sign in another way... But that other way doesn't work.. 

No one at virgin mobile or media has any ideas how or what to do... 

Very poor... A good reason to leave virgin media and mobile? 

Surely someone has some answers 

The writing has been on the wall for all of VM Hotspots for some time.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/04/virgin-media-o2-uk-close-wi-fi-hotspots-on-london-unde...

It's fair enough. But putting it on the wall and not informing customers of the move and making adequate provision for those areas without 3/4/5g coverage is bizarre and amateurish. 
What was the reasoning behind all of this? Customers might be put off? I just don't get it. We're now approaching two weeks - it'll be a fortnight on Wednesday since the WiFi hotspots on TfL disappeared - don't let them con you it was the 31st, it was the 29th during the day. It was there when I went into work at 10am and gone when I came home again at 7pm. 

They have done something anyway. The connect app no longer downloads a profile for LGI hotspots.

well done. *slow clap*

Yep.. Seen this but they are claims that you can 'try this way' to log in if a virgin sim customer... Load of rubbish as doesn't work and no one knows how or even that that was the case.... 

Hi, I'm very curious about this - the only reason I didn't get a Lebara sim is cos I wouldn't be able to connect to tube wifi, but it can be done??? I thought VodafoneWiFi was no longer available on the underground?

Sorry, this was supposed to be in reply to brookheather's post, I clearly can't work this website!!

VodafoneWifi is back on the tube - as detailed in this article:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/04/vodafone-uk-reintroduced-public-wifi-to-london-undergr...

My Lebara sim certainly connected to it and I could download data - whether that is going to work permanently I don't know.  HUKD have some links for getting a Lebara sim for 99p per month - very useful if you have a dual sim phone and are still under contract with VM.