cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telegram being blocked

MrJG08
On our wavelength

Bit of a weird one this, but as the title says telegram appears to be blocked on my connection.

Around 9pm last night telegram stopped updating chats and was stuck connecting on both mobile and desktop apps.

Netstat and my firewall show syn_sent but no acknowledgement and a trace from my firewall stops after the first hop on the virgin network.

I've plugged a laptop directly to the hub5x and get the same result so eliminating my firewall being the issue.

To use telegram currently I have to connect to a VPN to bypass whatever the issue is.

Posted on Reddit and someone has said they also have this issue, so are virgin blocking the telegram app (telegram site works fine) or is there a routing issue on their network.

Very odd.

40 REPLIES 40

Client62
Legend

Child Safe has a nasty habit of affecting connections (blocking office VPNs) even when it appears to be disabled,
did you try using a Public DNS so as to be quite sure Child Safe was totally bypassed ?

phil1281
Tuning in

Something is definitely wrong on their end. Using a VPN it's possible to bypass this block but not everyone wishes to, or can use this option I've not yet tried a public DNS but that will be next. I'll let you know how it goes..

Changing to Google public DNS makes no difference in this case and I stopped using freeDNS and repurposed my raspberry Pi that I used as a Pi-hole/DNS server a while back, so no luck there.

Client62
Legend

I've not seen any Telegram issues, our configuration is a Hub 3 in router mode all very standard.

ugvdfox
Tuning in

I have exactly the same issue and I sent it off to them yesterday via X. After a few replies asking me to check unrelated / unenabled services they went quiet 

Relying on VPN on my phone ATM , but it is annoying as the same VPN gives me issues with other apps , particulary Amazon and Discord (in discords case, uploads are a problem when connected via VPN)

MrJG08
On our wavelength

I've just spent an incredibly frustrating hour on the phone to customer support being bumped between seven (not even joking) different people and having to verify my details every single time and half of them saying they weren't trained on the hub5x.....it's a horrible experience having to deal with customer support, they just don't care.

Anyway, got absolutely nowhere with any of them, still having the same issue and no further forward and now the VPN service I use is also having intermittent connection issues and connecting to it is the only way I can get the telegram app (mobile and desktop) to work....

Is everyone that has this issue on XGS or are HFC users having issues as well?

OdeToBeFree
On our wavelength

Decided to do a little more digging into it with some searches.

I have limited connectivity/timeouts or just no connection at all to any IP that begins 149 to 154, I've checked with a number (dataset of 10 friends etc) who use Virgin.
SuperHubs 3 and 4 have no issue, I don't have any data on 5, but 2 have 5.x and have the same issue as me.

TraceRoutes die after hop 1 at Virgins Node in London, then times out thereafter.
So in my personal opinion, its a node issue in london for people on those specific hub connections (since I believe 5.x uses a different set of nodes to other networks.)

At this time apparently my case has been escalated to their team for monitoring and i should have service "restored" in 48hrs (not holding my breath though)

VPN's seem to fix the issue, however DNS changing (Google/Open/1.1.1.1) doesn't seem to work.

seasider24
Joining in

Same issue here too,  telegram works fine when on phone data, switch to hub5 wifi and it sits connecting.

also wattsapp takes ages to connect to but eventually gets there.

very annoying 

I'm up north on a hub5x and a trace gets me as far as the first hop:

3 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms cpc1-nrwh14-2-0-gw.4-4.cable.virginm.net [86.2.16.1]
4 * * * Request timed out.

VPN only way for me to access telegram using the desktop and mobile app, web app actually works but it rubbish compared to the desktop app which I use daily.

I'm awaiting the response from a tech team saying its my internal network. Can point wholly at it being the external infrastructure at fault and so far its impacted a lot of things i use on the daily.