cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom device shown in VM Connect app

Burny0077
Tuning in

Hi,

I previously had my router set to use a custom SSID and passphrase and everything was working perfectly. Recently, I started noticing a slow down in the speed at random times of the day, sometimes to the point where my internet would not load at all (not great when I work from home).

I checked the VM Connect app to see what was connected and noticed a random device listed with the name "Unknown", manufacturer as "BSkyB Ltd" however strangely the connection strength was "Fair" and there was no IP address showing. Since we didn't own any Sky/Now devices, I paused the device internet connection in the Connect app and instantly noticed the speed was back to normal.

After a week, I noticed that this device was still connected to the router.

This weekend, I reset the router back to default settings, but changed the network passphrase to a strong password (32 random letters, numbers and symbols, upper and lower case) and did NOT connect any devices except my mobile. After 10 minutes, the random BSkyB device was connected again (as well as my phone). Keep in mind, both the SSID and Password are completely different to what they were. Keeping this Sky device unpaused is still causing internet issues, as soon as I pause it, the internet works perfectly.

Having checked a wifi scanner app, my router appears to also be broadcasting a "hidden network" which I assume is related to the WiFi Hotspot network, but I have opted out of this service.

Not sure what to do here without resorting modem mode and buying my own personal router, but I don't want to go down that route.

I have a Hub 4, a WiFi Pod, and I've opted out of WiFi Hotspot sharing.

Any help would be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Burny0077'

Thank you for reaching out to us on our community and welcome, sorry to hear you notice a device on your Network you, didn't recognise when using our Connect app, as you have already done a pin reset and removed everything and changed the password it is likely it is one of your devices witha name you are unaware of, the only suggestion I can make is remove everything and introduce your devices one at a time, this will help you to see which device it is.

Regards

Paul. 

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response, however, as I stated in my original post:

This weekend, I reset the router back to default settings, but changed the network passphrase to a strong password (32 random letters, numbers and symbols, upper and lower case) and did NOT connect any devices except my mobile. After 10 minutes, the random BSkyB device was connected again (as well as my phone).

So I have already tried to connect 1 device at a time. I literally only connected my phone. No ethernet devices were connected either. So in theory, that should mean the ONLY device I should see connected was my phone, which was correctly listed, however the BSkyB device (which has a name of "Unknown" but manufacturer listed as "BSkyB Ltd") was also showing.

I connected 1 device, yet 2 were listed.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Burny0077,

Thanks for the update on this. As you've mentioned in your main post BSkyB is normally associated to a Sky product, and would most likely be an old one given the name.

I've taken a look on our end, and I'm unable to locate this device on your network. Can you please try uninstalling and reinstalling the VM Connect App? Can you please also take a look in your Hub Settings (the Gateway IP will be on the bottom/back of your Hub, with the password), and head to "Connected Devices" - does this device show there? 

If possible, can you please also provide me with the numbers after the last "." of the IP, so for example "123.456.789.XYZ" - with XYZ being the number to provide.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi,

I've tried resetting the app, as well as uninstall/reinstall and the device is still listed.
The Sky device does not appear within the "Connected Devices" page of the router's admin settings, and just shows the IP address as "Unknown" within the VM Connect. I can provide screenshots of both the app and the router's page if necessary.

I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't for the fact that "pausing" the connection of this Sky device via the VM Connect app speeds up my internet connection.

Thanks @Burny0077, if you can produce the screenshots - without any sensitive information showing, this may allow us to gain a better understanding of this issue.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Steel1991
Tuning in

I'm having the exact same thing the unknown and the sky one what are these devices why are they even showing up 

Client62
Legend

Any chance are you using a popular brand of Powerline extender ?

AB23
Joining in

I've just got set up with VM and having the exact same issue. Was it resolved? 

Client62
Legend

Current computers and mobile devices all have MAC Address Randomisation built in as standard.

This enables the device to generate a Random MAC and to connect using it, very handy if you wish to exceed the free WiFi period in hotels + airports and perfect to evade a pesky parent's WiFi pausing.

Because the new MAC is Random, it means mobile phones and laptops can show up as either having an unknown manufacturer or may show up being made by a quite unrelated manufacturer E.g. BSkyB or Xerox etc.

Unless the home network has unsecured Powerline adaptors (i.e. PLC network name is HomePlugAV or a similar out of box default value) it is exceedingly unlikely that any bogus devices are connected to your system.

Do not be tempted to Pause unknown devices, if that device turns out to be your spouse's office laptop or its VPN or their mobile a trip to the dog house awaits !