cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Routing Issue

plynch66
Dialled in

Hi,

I believe there is a routing issue with the Virgin network which is preventing me from accessing my work e-mail. I am trying to connect to 'id.nordcloud.com' but the connection times out. This problem only started today and has been working fine for over a year.

Using traceroute on my PC, I can see that the packets never get beyond 'bagu-core-2b-ae91-650.network.virginmedia.net'

If I connect my work laptop to my mobile data hotspot, the traceroute completes successfully.

I did try the Virgin support WhatsApp chat function but they tried to sell me Wi-Fi pods to 'solve the issue' and then offered to send out a free coaxial cable instead......sigh.....

Is anyone here able to escalate this issue for me ?

Thanks,

Paultracert.png

68 REPLIES 68

tgs1
Tuning in

Virgin have finally updated their status checker, it states "We hope to fix this by 18 April at 10:04". No rush guys!

virgin-status-checker.png

Their twitter team told me to check the status page but says it's "All good". Told them to read the forum thread exactly so they can hopefully pass it onto the right people. 

shands64
On our wavelength

Yeah, their status page is showing no issues, but trace routes to some AWS hosts are still failing for me:

shands64_0-1713353035688.png

georgeS79
On our wavelength

Same for me, in WA2 - no issues reported on their status page, and yet, can't go past that same node...

Wonderful! 😩

Zangoose
Joining in

Twitter team aren't being much use even though I have told them about this thread. I suppose we need to wait for the "Forum Team" to take a look at this whenever that will be.

"Thanks for confirming those details, I am afraid we would not be able to assit you as we do no support third party equipment. With the Hub being in modem mode we would advise to refer to the third party manufactuer of the additional Hub in order to assess why you are having issues with Slack, Signal and FlightRadar24. You would need to diagnose any errors and potential settings that are preventing you from fully accessing these programs. To eliminate causes, please have our Hub in router mode and test out these sites to see if full access along with the missing visuals."

So they're pretty much doing nothing about it, sound like the old "have you tried turning it off and on again?".

Sent them a msg on twitter/x (whatever is called nowadays) but nothing.

At the moment, to use the work VPN (based on an AWS service) I have to use my phone in tethering mode, can't even begin to imagine the spike in my bill this month 😅

Hi All, 

we have raised this with our network support team for further investigation. This has been raised under the reference F011273523 and we'll endeavour to have any issue resolved as quickly as possible. 

ModTeam

shands64
On our wavelength

Thanks for picking this up, ModTeam.

However, as you can see, there are numerous users that have been affected by this issue (presumably at Baguley) and it's incredibly frustrating, as a loyal customer of VirginMedia, to be stonewalled by your first-line support desk from being allowed to speak to anyone that isn't permitted to deviate from a set diagnostic script ("are the lights on?", and such like)

Furthermore, we identified the issue over 24 hours ago and have only now received any sort of acknowledgement that the issue is being investigated.

Should anything like this happen again, is there a number/contact/email/etc to submit these issues directly without having to deal with tedious first-line questions? (which, incidentally, seldom yield any sort of warm-and-cuddly-feeling of any sort of progress).

It's a small world..... 😉

WA4.png

Hi,

Thanks for raising this. Will any update be posted here on this thread ? I specifically asked customer services (more than once) if I would receive an e-mail with a reference number to track but no such e-mail has arrived.

I don't want to turn this into a rant about the 'quality' of customer service from VM, I'd just like the problem to be resolved so I can get back online.

Paul