cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Location Wrong

Daveg14
Up to speed

I have noticed my IP address was changed to another one which I know  it happens I only found out when  I was doing a speediest app and the locations were no longer near me  location comes up as MiddlesbroughUnited Kingdom not where i am on the South Coast.

One site you can look up where your IP address is from was wrong and I was able to update that one to where I am 

I tried IP renew and release but that  did not resolve

anyone have any one with any ideas let me know many thanks

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM IP addresses are not static - just sticky.  They can change for no apparent reason - mine has changed twice in the last 3 years.  Not much you can do about it other than adapt to the new one.

What is the issue doing that?  Note that if you put the Hub into modem mode that will be a different IP address too and you can "toggle" between the two.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM IP addresses are not static - just sticky.  They can change for no apparent reason - mine has changed twice in the last 3 years.  Not much you can do about it other than adapt to the new one.

What is the issue doing that?  Note that if you put the Hub into modem mode that will be a different IP address too and you can "toggle" between the two.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Nothing VM can do about it. Search the board for similar posts, they contains lots of explanations. I for one a happy to have my IP pointing to another part of the country.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Alessandro Volta
"IP Location Wrong" - How it this affecting your internet usage ?

Daveg14
Up to speed

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question 

Internet is as normal because because it says VM Cosham which is where it should be connecting as close to me. 

Thank you for your reply

Daveg14
Up to speed

UPDATE

I used a IP lookup site there it gave option to change to my location on that site then a few days latter I used the speedtest app and it was showing places near me.as it did before IP change