cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - 2.4Ghz not showing

Dazzapfc
Joining in

Just been upgraded to 1 gig broadband and sent the hub 5. I've installed it and is working fine on 5Ghz but I've a phone and lightbulbs that need 2.4Ghz. I've contacted Virgin who have split the network and on the connect app it shows as 5 & 2.4 but the 2.4 is not showing on the WiFi. I've changed its name etc. Any ideas? TIA. 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

17 REPLIES 17

I've done all that and no 2.4Ghz channel. The previous thread suggested that Hub4 was stable when the signal was split, please could I get an engineer or a hub4.

Debsroberts1
Joining in

Just spoken to customer service again and they won't give me the Hub4. Please can I get the same level of service as the previous poster and either get an engineers visit or a Hub4. Thanks.

Hi @Debsroberts1 

We don't support splitting the channels as an active choice - yes you can do it via the advice given via the forums however not something we would actively promote. 

We also wouldn't offer a downgrade to a Hub 4 either I'm afraid.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Debsroberts1
Joining in

Hi John. The issue is that I was given this option for the first 6 weeks of my contract and the engineer who set me up split the channels so I was actively led to believe it was an "active choice". It is now too late for me to cancel my contract and move providers. This now means the service I am receiving is not what I need for my home. How is Virgin going to resolve this misrepresentation of their service? Can I at least get an engineer to my home to see if they can fix the Hub5?

Hi Debsroberts1, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community. We're sorry to hear you were unaware that we don't support the splitting of channels. 

Whilst this is something you can do on the hub, we don't recommend it due to it causing issues with the WiFi being able to be seemless as well as when the channels are split, the WiFi Pods won't work or connect. 

Checking things this end, the hub is looking good in terms of power and signal levels. There is nothing to suggest there is a fault with it so we wouldn't be able to send an engineer or replace the hub at this time. 

I can see both your network names on the SSID bands are the same though so it's worth logging in to the Hub and updating the band names so you can then find the band you wish to connect too. There are instructions on how to do that in this thread here. Please be aware that some of the wording may be a little different due to this being for the Hub 4 but it should produce the same result. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Client62
Legend

Hub 5 Router mode - Wi-Fi 6 ( 802.11ax )

For some devices, the Hub 5 brings a compatibility problem by having Wi-Fi 6 ( 802.11ax ) on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

The symptoms for a device that is not working with Wi-Fi 6 are the device does not find the Hub 5 Wi-Fi signal.

1) A recent work around has been suggested which is ( in the Hub 5 Wireless Signal settings ) to change the mode of the 2.4GHz band from 802.11b/g/n/ax to either 802.11g/n/ax or to 802.11n/ax.

It would be very useful to know if both or either 802.11g/n/ax and 802.11n/ax helps any of your problem kit to connect to the Hub 5.

2) Hub 5 does not permit “ax” mode to be disabled, a workaround is to use a dual band Wi-Fi Repeater or Wireless Access point that does not support Wi-Fi 6 ( 802.11ax ).

One model that has worked is the TP-LINK RE450 / AC1750, similar products from other brands may be suitable.

3) For a computer, buy a new USB Wi-Fi adaptor that supports both 2.4 & 5GHz bands.

Hi, I have the exact same issue. It’s been fine for over a year and now 2.4gHz doesn’t show up and certain devices I can’t connect. I’ve tried a factory reset and it’s still the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Client62
Legend

@Lewkan Have you tried the suggestions just above your post ?