cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - 2.4Ghz not showing

Dazzapfc
Joining in

Just been upgraded to 1 gig broadband and sent the hub 5. I've installed it and is working fine on 5Ghz but I've a phone and lightbulbs that need 2.4Ghz. I've contacted Virgin who have split the network and on the connect app it shows as 5 & 2.4 but the 2.4 is not showing on the WiFi. I've changed its name etc. Any ideas? TIA. 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Hero

"2.4 is not showing on the WiFi"

This exactly what I've been expecting to read for months. A super clear statement of a defect.

The Hub 5 WiFi is broken on many units, even with a split SSID operation on both bands is not possible with this Hub.

The only way to use a Hub 5 is in Modem mode with a 3rd party Router / own WiFi solution.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Client62
Hero

"2.4 is not showing on the WiFi"

This exactly what I've been expecting to read for months. A super clear statement of a defect.

The Hub 5 WiFi is broken on many units, even with a split SSID operation on both bands is not possible with this Hub.

The only way to use a Hub 5 is in Modem mode with a 3rd party Router / own WiFi solution.

Back in touch with virgin again tomorrow then and I'm guessing swap back to the hub 4 

Hi Dazzapfc, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with some of your devices not finding the network even when on a split band. 

This can sometimes happen if the devices are incompatible with WiFi 6. The teams will be able to change the Hub back to a 4 for you or as suggested by Client62, you can opt to use the Hub 5 in Modem mode and connect your own third party router. If you're prefer the Hub 4, give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for your message.

They won't give me hub 4. I've spoke to 6 different people tonight even retention as I've had enough and want to leave then they hung up on me. Disgusting 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM just can't win people want hub 5 people want hub 4 people hate hub 5 people hate hub 4 just give up VM and start sending out modems only that work because they are simple like whats the worst that can happen you lose people? you lose people even with a bad hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dazzapfc,

Thank you for reaching back out, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and can see you have spoken to us and a technician has been arranged, please let us know how things go.

Regards

Paul.

We had an engineer come out today who spent over an hour trying to sort out the hub 5 but couldn't get it to work so ended up putting in a hub 4 and straight away everything worked perfectly and we still have the superfast speed. I just wish the guys online had listened to me and this could have been sorted earlier. 

Thank you to Colin the engineer for sorting it out. 

Hi. I have exactly the same issue. After the 1st 6 weeks of service, Hub5 won't split to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz anymore. Customer service don't seem to understand the problem.

Client62
Hero

In the Hub 5 Wireless Settings make sure the Smart Wi-Fi / Channel Optimization is Disabled, this should unlock the ability to change the SSIDs on each band.  

I am compelled to warn changing the SSIDs on the Hub 5 invites a WI-Fi & DHCP failure.