cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 keeps resetting wi fi defaults

guilbert
Dialled in

Moved to 1G broadband a month ago and got a Hub 4.

After getting it all working I changed the default wi fi SSID and password as all the devices we have are set up to use the wi fi logon details we had on the previous router.

But in the last month the Hub 4 router has rebooted itself (on its own) 5 times and taken the router back to its default SSID and password.

At first of course we just think wi fi has gone down so switch the router on and off.

But when we then try to connect a device we find that our "new" SSID is NOT listed but the default SSID name IS listed.

I then have to logon to the router and change the SSID and password.

If I am in the house then this is of course fairly easy for me to do, but if I am out the house none of my family would have any idea how to change the SSID so they are stuck with it till I come home. 

Any reason our Hub 4 is doing this as it is rather annoying.

156 REPLIES 156

You don’t fix it, it’s a software issue and it’s still unresolved after two years.

rebooting and resetting doesn’t do anything if you have a custom SSID name.

Furthermore if you use wifi pods, the workaround of disabling smart wifi to prevent the SSID naming issue, means the pods aren’t operational. 

overall it’s a complete shambles and there’s no cure. Virgin periodically reply saying “have you tried a reset?” without reading the page after page or previous replies.

the only cure is disabling the Smart Wifi option, but it stops your booster pods working. 

terrible really. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Clandm,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! We're still working on rectifying this issue and any updates will be posted on the Forums.

This thread does have a few suggested work arounds provided by our Community Members.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused in the meantime. Our teams are working hard to have this rectified. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Clandm
On our wavelength

Hi Paulina_Z
From the sounds of the chat on here there is no solution to the issue!!! This is very disappointing 😞

Hi @Clandm, thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, we can't give a clear timeframe on when this issue will be fixed but we'll do everything we can to get it sorted as soon as possible.

Regards,
Daniel

richardburns
On our wavelength

It’s very clear after nearly 2 years since the first post that it won’t be rectified, when there’s a new hub out since the one with the issue. I think the best we can hope for is eventual upgrades to the next hub and just put this down to 2 years of Virgin not fixing an issue. That’s really all there is to it I think. 

As someone from a programming background this would take about an hour to fix, push a couple of submissions and trial it, and get it out onto routers via software updates in a staggered form. It’s clearly never going to be rectified, and after two years it’s embarrassing to keep suggesting it’s being worked on. It sounds like nobody even knows the status of the fix and are just giving the same generic “we’re working on it” response.

Many thanks Richard 

It's a pretty poor response from Virgin! Seems like they're happy to bury their head in the sand and just accept the flack they'll get. 

Can i ask why this post has been marked as Solved when it clearly isn't. How do we go about getting upgraded to the Hub 5 for free since we have put up with faulty equipment for so long?