cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 keeps resetting wi fi defaults

guilbert
Dialled in

Moved to 1G broadband a month ago and got a Hub 4.

After getting it all working I changed the default wi fi SSID and password as all the devices we have are set up to use the wi fi logon details we had on the previous router.

But in the last month the Hub 4 router has rebooted itself (on its own) 5 times and taken the router back to its default SSID and password.

At first of course we just think wi fi has gone down so switch the router on and off.

But when we then try to connect a device we find that our "new" SSID is NOT listed but the default SSID name IS listed.

I then have to logon to the router and change the SSID and password.

If I am in the house then this is of course fairly easy for me to do, but if I am out the house none of my family would have any idea how to change the SSID so they are stuck with it till I come home. 

Any reason our Hub 4 is doing this as it is rather annoying.

156 REPLIES 156

Could try that but would mean resetting all my devices again which will be a pain especially when it’s an issue with VM which they don’t seem to be sorting 

@stanlie75 wrote:

Could try that but would mean resetting all my devices again which will be a pain especially when it’s an issue with VM which they don’t seem to be sorting 

I get that. But from past experience, this won't be fixed quickly. Has to be investigated, then a fixed created, then testing, and then rollout. This might take a few days, or could take months!

For the sake of your own sanity, it might be best to spend one afternoon updating your devices and not having to worry about it again.

Think you could be right, will give that a go 

Have you tried factory resetting the hub?  Mine did exactly the same until I factory reset.  Now the SSID sticks.

Lucy_B

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your continued patience whilst we investigated this issue. The good news is, our team have been able to diagnose where the fault that is causing the details to reset to factory settings lies. 

The other good news is that this fault will be resolved when the new firmware for the Hub 4 is released; however I do want to be honest with you all and that firmware is still being tested and as such is not ready to be rolled out just yet. We will endeavour to get this rolled as quickly as we can, however it is likely it will be a couple of months before it is ready. 

As soon as I have a more precise timescale on this, I will let you all know. In the meantime I can only apologise for any frustration or inconvenience this may cause. 

Lucy

Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

So VM want customers to put up with faulty equipment for an unknown amount of time?

This is agonisingly poor service. The Hub4 shouldnt be in peoples homes as this is quite a major firmware fault. 

Perhaps offering a Hub5 to trial and see if the issue is rectified sooner than waiting for said Firmware update. 

An 'Intelligent Wifi Off' setting will help?

I've had this issue since getting our Hub4 last October. This annoying fault also causes LAN connections to fail until the router has been:

Switched off then on. 

Network SSID and Password Changed (at the 1st attempt thw router crashea)

Turn router on and off again

Reset the wifi security details again...LAN connections re-establish when changing the wifi details again. 

This is a faff and shouldn't be needed. So I'll ask Virgin to se d every customer in this forum a Hub5 to trial and see if the fault ia rectified. 

Your tech help on the phone haven't a scooby about this and just suggest a pin-hole reset whicb reverts to factory settings meaning it needs to do any updates all over again. 

Provide kit that works and is FULLY TESTED before sending out to homes. Clearly these Hub4s were not. 

You don't want a Hub 5. This is what got me into this mess in the first place. I was offered the hub 5 trial. Replacing my Hub 3 that I had no issues with at all. upon arrival of the Hub 5 it wouldn't work at all had engineer out within 28 hours and still couldn't fix it. Of course I had already sent back the Hub 3 so they replaced it with a reconditioned hub 4 that also didn't work. They came out the following Monday and gave me a new hub 4 which then manifested the issue in this thread and here we are. 

Hi GillyAnn466,

Thank you for your post. We can certainly appreciate your frustration with this. 

As my fellow moderator has advised this is being investigated now and we're working to have this resolved with the next update. 

Our apologies again for any frustration. 

^Martin

i'll take that over being ignored, i can wait for the update. thanks.

urbanfly
Tuning in

Glad this issue has been acknowledged and a fix is underway, it's driving me mad.