cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre from the pole or underground

Scottyj321
Joining in

Hi everybody, just curious, I've seen virgin media installing their services on the telegraph poles, feeding cables to people's bungalows on my culde-sac, however my bungalow and others are fed underground by a BT slab in the pavement for landline (copper) (from the pole under the road to slab)

Would they install with a over head cable to fit fibre which we don't have overhead on my side of the street or would they want go dig my driveway up (which I don't really want as it's just been done(tarmac)

Anyone had a similar query?

Thanks scotty

3 REPLIES 3

fibreking
On our wavelength

Technically they could do either. In reality VM will use existing Openreach infrastructure and unlikely to install a new pole. Are you sure there isn’t an Openreach duct to your house already? If so, they’ll probably use that.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In some new fibre areas VM are now using Openreach owned infrastructure to carry their fibres. So whatever infrastructure serves your property will be utilised, whether overhead or underground.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Under something known as PIA Openreach is required to permit operators such as VM to use Openreach's ducts and poles. So, in a small number of cases VM has in the past few years exercised this right in its fibre areas to run its fibre to premises.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection