cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devolo 1200 Powerline Adapter Cannot Connect to Hub 5 Since 23-May-2023

Stonewash
Tuning in

On 23-May-2023 at 04:17, my Hub 5 was rebooted via a remote command. Since then my Devolo 1200 powerline adapter cannot connect to the router, despite being plugged directly into it via Ethernet. All my other devices, which use Ethernet or Wifi, can still connect. I have tried the following without success:

1) Hard reset of the router by powering off, then powering on
2) Soft reset of the router by pressing the reset button on the underside
3) Remote reboot of the router by Virgin IT support
4) Sent a HIT command to the router by Virgin IT support to improve connections and peformance
5) Used a different ethernet port on the powerline adapter
6) Used a different ethernet port on the router
7) Used a different ethernet cable
😎 Plugged the powerline adapter into a different wall socket
9) Used a different powerline adapter (same model)
10) Reset the powerline adapter to factory settings

I had an engineer visit on 26-May-2023. He tested the relevant ethernet port on the router, and confirmed it was working. He also rebalanced the download/upload speeds via the control point on the external wall of my house. The error persisted, so he replaced the Hub 5 with a new one. The error still persists, so I suggest that the Hub 5 update on 23-May-2023 has disrupted the compatibility with the Devolo 1200 model, and possibly others.

37 REPLIES 37

Client62
Legend

From an earlier post in this thread, I'm assuming ...

1) the Hub 5 is in Router mode

2) the VM Hub 5's network ports have all been tested (e.g. with a laptop) and are confirmed to be offering working internet connections.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Your story tells me it's time to say goodbye to router mode.  I understand modems and their components; the Ethernet ports of the Hub 5  form a 4 port switch to which any device using the IP protocol must be able to connect.

Assuming the Devolo firmware hasn't changed, the protocol handling (handshake), initiated by the Devolo, should be serviced by the Hub 5 in an absolutely standard way.  This much you have obviously understood.

Since day 1, VM have played their cards close to their chest and never publicly reveal what has changed from one firmware release to the next.  If they have tinkered with/broken IP handling, I would have expected other bad effects.  So, this remains a mystery.

However, The various VM Hubs are $15 devices and are no better than that.  People who are really serious about the Internet, bite the bullet and buy their own router, put the wretched hub into modem mode and connect their powerline device to the router (which is what I do with my Devolo 1200+).

After you've got over the horror of having to pay for doing something properly that you expected VM's hub to do, and after you've understood that you'll never know what VM might have done to break the IP handshake with your Devolo device, you'll buy a router and never look back.

Do keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

You are correct. "I had an engineer visit on 26-May-2023. He tested the relevant ethernet port on the router, and confirmed it was working"

OK thanks. Do you have any recommendations for routers? What are trustworthy brands?

@Stonewash wrote:

OK thanks. Do you have any recommendations for routers? What are trustworthy brands?

I recommend what I have used for years.  That's the ASUS brand and I doubt that anyone on the forum would disagree with that choice.  TP-Link is the other brand recommendation you might receive.

The router should best have a 2.5Gig WAN port and if it has that, its other attributes will be fine.  For example:

https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax88u-pro/

See if you can find one on ebay that's cheaper than retail (that's how I got my router but mine is not 2.5Gb port).

The good routers cost around £300+.

Client62
Legend

Hub 5 in Modem mode + a 3rd party - I fully endorse that.

However, investment in a 3rd party Router requires the Hub 5 to work on the 2.5Gb/s network port.

It was mentioned an installation engineer claimed the network ports worked, but the current situation suggests that right now none of the network ports of this Hub 5 have been confirmed as working.  

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

I'm not sure I understand Client62's hypothesis.  Unless I've missed something, the ports all work, including the 2.5Gb port.  And, of course, you only need the 2.5Gb port in order to supply the full 1.1Gb capability of the 1Gig circuit.

@Stonewash wrote:

Zyxel Armor G5 12-Stream Multi-Gigabit WiFi 6 Router - AX6000. Large Home Coverage. OpenVPN and WPA3...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

My emerging hypothesis was the Hub 5's network ports may not be functioning, based upon ...

We read the Develo devices fail to work with any network port of the Hub 5.
We lack conformation that a network cabled printer and / or computer etc are currently working with any or all of the Hub 5 network ports.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So you think all the ports on the hub are dead.

---------------------------------------------------------------