cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devolo 1200 Powerline Adapter Cannot Connect to Hub 5 Since 23-May-2023

Stonewash
Tuning in

On 23-May-2023 at 04:17, my Hub 5 was rebooted via a remote command. Since then my Devolo 1200 powerline adapter cannot connect to the router, despite being plugged directly into it via Ethernet. All my other devices, which use Ethernet or Wifi, can still connect. I have tried the following without success:

1) Hard reset of the router by powering off, then powering on
2) Soft reset of the router by pressing the reset button on the underside
3) Remote reboot of the router by Virgin IT support
4) Sent a HIT command to the router by Virgin IT support to improve connections and peformance
5) Used a different ethernet port on the powerline adapter
6) Used a different ethernet port on the router
7) Used a different ethernet cable
😎 Plugged the powerline adapter into a different wall socket
9) Used a different powerline adapter (same model)
10) Reset the powerline adapter to factory settings

I had an engineer visit on 26-May-2023. He tested the relevant ethernet port on the router, and confirmed it was working. He also rebalanced the download/upload speeds via the control point on the external wall of my house. The error persisted, so he replaced the Hub 5 with a new one. The error still persists, so I suggest that the Hub 5 update on 23-May-2023 has disrupted the compatibility with the Devolo 1200 model, and possibly others.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Your story tells me it's time to say goodbye to router mode.  I understand modems and their components; the Ethernet ports of the Hub 5  form a 4 port switch to which any device using the IP protocol must be able to connect.

Assuming the Devolo firmware hasn't changed, the protocol handling (handshake), initiated by the Devolo, should be serviced by the Hub 5 in an absolutely standard way.  This much you have obviously understood.

Since day 1, VM have played their cards close to their chest and never publicly reveal what has changed from one firmware release to the next.  If they have tinkered with/broken IP handling, I would have expected other bad effects.  So, this remains a mystery.

However, The various VM Hubs are $15 devices and are no better than that.  People who are really serious about the Internet, bite the bullet and buy their own router, put the wretched hub into modem mode and connect their powerline device to the router (which is what I do with my Devolo 1200+).

After you've got over the horror of having to pay for doing something properly that you expected VM's hub to do, and after you've understood that you'll never know what VM might have done to break the IP handshake with your Devolo device, you'll buy a router and never look back.

Do keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

37 REPLIES 37

fizz
Superfast

I can't get my devolo magic 2 wifi adapters to work with ethernet injection since I had my hub 5. I went round and round on this. Devolo asking me stupid questions about sending logs and network diagrams and virgin denying it is the hub 5. I have tested these on a friends hub 4 and they worked on my hub 3 but apparantly there is no problem with the hub hardware / firmware. I gave up in the end because the 'use modem mode'  band jumped on board and it became tiresome. so good luck getting it solved.. I had around 600 pounds worth of devolo equipment lying dormant...

My Broadband Ping - Virgin

Client62
Hero

It reads like the Hub 5 and Powerline adaptor are failing to establish a network connection.
As as test would a network switch split the two components but pass the traffic ?
Hub 5 --->  Network Switch ---> Devolo Powerline adaptor <<< mains wiring >>>  ( rest of the Devolo network )

Client62
Hero

Second thought ... Is the Hub'5s PSU collapsing the Devolo Powerline network ?

Does the Devolo Powerline adaptor system have a management application / utility that shows the network status of Powerline adaptors and perhaps at what rate they are connecting ? 

I have the Devolo management application (Devolo Cockpit). It just tells me what I already know - the adapters have no internet connection. They worked fine with the Hub 5 up until 23-May-2023. They also worked with my old Hub 3.

Client62
Hero

Noted, No internet.

Does Devolo Cockpit show the Devolo units as having formed a network over the mains ?
Do the lights on the Hub 5 and on the first Devolo unit show both are connected via the network cable ?

The base adapter plugged into the router has a flashing red LED

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As suggested by @Client62  can you borrow a switch and see if that works as a test ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Hero

Our crystal balls are super cloudy on what symbol has a red flashing LED.

Be a sport and read the manual then let us know what the red flashing LED means.

Flashing red = no internet connection

Stable white = has internet connection (i.e. normal)

Flashing white = attempting to pair with the base adapter (a temporary state)