cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best settings for using TPlink Deco

cheesemp
Tuning in

Having VM (Nexfibre) installed today for the first time. I currently have an rubbish copper openreach line, with Vodafone hub used as a switch/router but no wifi and then TP link deco (M4?) doing the mesh wifi that I do not want to lose. TV, xbox etc are all local and plugged into vodafone hub rather than use wifi.

Am I best to do similar with my VM hub (using it as ethernet switch/DHCP/DNS) or would I do better in modem mode, use deco as router and buy a little switch?

(I note there is a similar question here that recommended modem mode and a switch chained off the primary deco - Deco M4 Setup with M200 - Virgin Media Community - 4613652 so will do that unless anyone recommends something better as something has changed in last few years)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cardiffman282
Super solver

You can't currently use modem mode via a Nexfibre Xgs-pon connection. I think other threads suggest alternative connection forms with the hub 5x such as bridge mode. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Cardiffman282
Super solver

You can't currently use modem mode via a Nexfibre Xgs-pon connection. I think other threads suggest alternative connection forms with the hub 5x such as bridge mode. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Thanks Cardiffman282 - I thought getting the budget M250 I would get an older hub but makes sense it needs the latest for fibre. Ok I'll dig into bridge mode - I don't really care what does the DHCP/DNS as long as its responsive and wifi mesh keeps working (we have several extensions so need the boost). No point going from 30Mb to 250Mb if the latency is worse and I has heard the more basic hubs where slow in this regard.

cheesemp
Tuning in

Just in case anyone else stumbles on this - I found the TPlink Deco was really slow (~20Mb) in router mode (even though it was giving max 30Mb on old connection). Access point mode and its now perfect but lost all the useful deco functionality. Hoping modem mode is available soon so I can switch back!