cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notice period after price increase

Jennihi12355
Tuning in

Got the letter regarding the price increase today . 
says I can leave when I want without paying cancellation fees . Don’t think it’s right I’m now being held to a 30 day notice to leave period when they have changed my contract without my consent ? 

I’ve found a deal elsewhere which only runs up until the end of this month . Why should I be penalised further ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jennihi12355 wrote:

says I can leave when I want without paying cancellation fees . Don’t think it’s right I’m now being held to a 30 day notice to leave period when they have changed my contract without my consent ? 

I’ve found a deal elsewhere which only runs up until the end of this month . Why should I be penalised further ? 

As of next year, VM is removing the right to cancel following a price rise so now is the time to move if you have had enough of VM. The 30 day notice period has been in VM's T&Cs for a long time.

If you place an order with a new supplier, what is their lead-time to get the service installed? It may well be a period of weeks which will mean a minimum overlap of the two services. If you time your 30 day notice to VM alongside the lead time for your new service you should be able to optimise any overlap.

Ideally having a bit of an overlap is a good thing in case you run into problems with the new connection, you would still have the VM connection to fall back on.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jennihi12355 wrote:

As of next year, VM is removing the right to cancel following a price rise so now is the time to move if you have had enough of VM. The 30 day notice period has been in VM's T&Cs for a long time.

If you place an order with a new supplier, what is their lead-time to get the service installed? It may well be a period of weeks which will mean a minimum overlap of the two services. If you time your 30 day notice to VM alongside the lead time for your new service you should be able to optimise any overlap.

Ideally having a bit of an overlap is a good thing in case you run into problems with the new connection, you would still have the VM connection to fall back on.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Let’s be clear. Your contract has not been changed by this price increase. The contract you had always detailed Virgin Media’s right to alter the charge and your right, in this circumstance, to cancel with the same 30 day notice period which has always been the case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I get it however the letter sent out said you are free to leave whenever during this time etc and didn’t make this clear so that’s what has led to an overlap of 22 days of unnecessary service . 
thank you though appreciate the positive attitude and good response 

Hi thanks for your insightful reply ,

my main point by is  - I received a letter that said I was free to leave when I wished which implied I was not liable to a 30 day cancellation notice period . 

thanks for taking the time to reply 

Regardless of that, if there's a time limited deal, you've done your research and you're sure it's a good deal, and you understand and accept any tricksy terms like 18-24 months with baked in inflation plus price rises, then agree the new connection now.  It'll take a minimum of two weeks to get it connected and working (maybe more) and that'll eat through your 30 days notice.  

Any deal with the large, heavily marketed ISPs will likely have great prices now, but may turn sour in a year's time due to inflation busting price rises.  Or consider Zen Internet, who'll do you a fixed price 18 month deal (although the up front discount won't be as big as the larger ISPs). 

Hello Jennihi12355

We're sorry to hear you have received the confirmation of the upcoming price increase, we appreciate you taking the time raise this via the forums.

As with all customers looking to leave, regardless of circumstance (barring the 14 day cooling off period) 30 days cancellation notice is required from all customers. This is outlined in the T&C's and applicable to all. We aren't able to cancel services or take 30 days notice via the forums.

If you can give the team a call on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 4 this will get you through to the contracts team who will be able to look into this further for you.

We also have these contact methods available https://virg.in/contactvm or you can send your query to 07533016422 and we’ll text you back. We’re here 8am-11pm Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm on Saturday and Sunday. 

Rob

All is not lost ... look at Trustpilot and the reviews that VMs competitors get ... makes you cringe, Bt,Sky,Talk Talk, Plus net to name

a few ... just sayng ...well I received by woefull price increase letter 2/3 days ago ... slept on it ... rang 150 .. rigmaroll of nos ..thinking of leaving

now held on ... despite an automatic ten pounds being offered if I wished on current contract .... spoke to operative ...extremely helpfull gave me same ten 

pounds off deal ... and new 18 month contract ... same services, phone ,internet, TV box ..... woo hoo thx so much ... our VM is great and gives few

problems ... might be better if you stayed looking around but if  the  VM services are bad that iis a different matter.. good luck

Hi Alby41, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your experience in the Community. 

We're really happy to hear the team were able to get you a great deal 🎉

If you have any further queries or questions then pop back here and let us know so we can help further. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs