cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False information supplied to Clearscore/Equifax

SpecialKS
Tuning in

I recently applied to Clearscore.com (whose information is based on Equifax reports) and the result has come up with three anomalies, all reported by Virgin Media.

Two relarte to non-payment (June and July 2023) and one to default/repossession. As I pay by direct debit and have checked my bank statements these reports are false and are impugning my integrity. Desp[ite many attempts to contact Virgin Media by online redirection and telephone I am unable to speak with anyone to ascertain why this has happened - I get a "Ooops, Wrong Page" response online. If I cannot even get a response by email what is the point of having fibre broadband from Virgin Media?

17 REPLIES 17

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM have stated their intention of introducing AI to their customer (dis)service, but it doesn't seem to have started yet. 

In the meantime I think we should have sympathy for the staff on here, who I am sure do their best to help having been given little training or authority.  I suspect the pay is not wonderful either, knowing how tight-fisted VM is with its money.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

SpecialKS
Tuning in

You can, of course, prove it ?

Melissa_F

Hi, 

Please don't continue to make off-topic posts in this thread, as it doesn't help the OP solve their issue. If you want to continue a discussion, please either take it to Private Messages or discuss in our Chatter forum. Please also note that further off-topic posting may result in individual warnings, review the Forum Guidelines for more information.

Thanks

SpecialKS
Tuning in

Hi didnotdefault.

I have the same problem as you. Mine does not have the same finality as yours (i.e. mortgage) but is similarly life-changing and I get the same eresponse "it will take 21 days to resolve".

Going to the Financial Ombudsman is unlikely to be any quicker than that, so I am taking direct legal action. An alternative might be to contact someone like Katie Morley of the Daily Telegraph who deals with this type of problem and has some significant success.

Another alternative which has crossed my mind is a "class action", where a number of aggrieved clients who are facing the same problem jointly appoint a legal representative to take the matter further. There are a number of recent forum posts regarding this specific issue (false informatiion passed to credit agencies) and a joint claim might galvanise the Credit Amendment Team to wake up and smell the coffee. Or their redundancy notices.

We can only apologies for your dissatisfaction with our support and credit file response time for you concerns @SpecialKS 

I can see that Molly has supported in raising this for you and provided the full details on what will happen next regarding your complaint and your credit file amendment request. 
Should you have any further questions on this, Molly will be able to assist in your already private message should you need. 

Have a lovely rest of your night. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

From reports on this forum it does seem that Virginmedia is only too keen to register payment defaults with the credit agencies. Such a default, even for a small amount, can have very serious consequences for a family.

Registering a default should be a last resort after serious warnings have been given to a customer, and in some cases it seems the customer has not even been made aware of a charge, that might be incorrect. 

A delay of two or three weeks to correct an error in such a serious matter is quite unacceptable. It seems that VM is entirely careless of the potential consequences of its actions. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I totally agree Jpeg1.

@jpeg1 wrote:

From reports on this forum it does seem that Virginmedia is only too keen to register payment defaults with the credit agencies. Such a default, even for a small amount, can have very serious consequences for a family.

Registering a default should be a last resort after serious warnings have been given to a customer, and in some cases it seems the customer has not even been made aware of a charge, that might be incorrect. 

A delay of two or three weeks to correct an error in such a serious matter is quite unacceptable. It seems that VM is entirely careless of the potential consequences of its actions. 

Equifax clearly state a company has 21 days to respond https://help.equifax.co.uk/EquifaxOnlineHelp/s/article/What-do-I-do-if-there-s-incorrect-information...

If they respond sooner, great?

If not, nothing you can do.