cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive renewal costs.. tell me what you would do...

jonbee56
On our wavelength

Tell me what you would do.. 

I started my  contract 17 months ago and paid £33 per month. This year it has all changed from Virgin

No excessive costs from me, no changes, always the same yet

April 2023 - £33.00

May 2023 - £48.00

July 2023 - £62.00

August £92.00 PER MONTH is due !!!!!!!!

I feel this is pure greed and profiteering 

Are there any options around that will help me, or is Sky beckoning .

..so what would you do ?

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi jonbee56 

Do your homework first and price up similar deals with other providers. Also determine what you actually need from VM.  Do you need the current level of speed, or access to the same TV channels etc?.

Once you have determined what you need I suggest speaking to retentions and negotiating a new contract again like you did in <January 2022>  although hopefully without the hassle of incorrect package or pricing.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Agreed, I know prices have gone up but Community broadband and Sky have the same deal for around £45. Screenshots have been taken and I feel a Monday phone call to virgin is pending

jonbee56
On our wavelength

I'm curious if anyone has been able to renegotiate their contract to a more manageable level.

I'm on hold for the second time in 2 days. Hopefully I won't get cut off after 45 minutes this time  

Hi @jonbee56 👋.

Thanks for your post in the Community Forum. Everyone is able to renegotiate their contract with us, what will differ is the type of package they wish to have along with tenure and discounts available to them. Every customers price is individual to them and we always take in account customers budgets and needs depending on their circumstances. 

The people to reach out to, are our retentions department, which are available through our main contact number and with the following options pressed 📞 0345 454 1111, option 1, option 4, option 4.

Keep us updated with any issues you may face.

Sabrina

jonbee56
On our wavelength

The situation has now been resolved. It took over an hour on the phone to get a price that was close to those newcomers. I'm a 10 year + customer.  I shouldn't have to fight with Virgin to get a deal comparable with other suppliers on the market. 

If a decent deal was originally offered, I would be content with the situation, but a proposed price rise from £33 to £92 just gets customers annoyed and prompts us to leave you. 

It shows me that there is no loyalty to long term customers, and feel that any chance to overcharge shall be actioned.

Saying that , the gentleman I spoke to was a really nice guy, understood my position and did his best to get me a good deal to which I agreed with and signed up to.

Hi @jonbee56 thanks for your reply here, we're really pleased to hear things are resolved for you!
We do appreciate this has been frustrating but thanks for taking your time to update us on this matter.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Firstly, you are absolutely correct, there is absolutely no loyalty to customers, but on the other hand, there is, or shouldn’t be any loyalty from customers to the supplier - it’s all purely a business transaction, they want to take as much money as they can from you each month, and you want the exact opposite; nothing personal.

But what I don’t get is the intermediate price rises - now, from what you said, you signed up some 17 months ago and hence are coming to the end of your discounted-rate period. Presumably next month, all discounts expire and you will be paying the full-whack (or would have been had you not re-negotiated) price of £92. Fine that all makes sense, when you first signed up, you would have been given a discount of £x making your monthly cost be £33 (so a discount of £59 a month, which isn't bad). In April/May of this year VM raised their prices, by quite a lot, which probably accounts for the rise from £33 to £48 - again fine, you were still getting your discount, it’s just that the base price had gone up. What I’m not sure about is where the increase to £62 this month has come from!

But still, irrelevant really, as you seem to have managed to get a deal and price that you are happy with. But was this a ‘fixed-price’ deal or a ‘fixed-discount’ deal? The reason I ask is that come April 2024, VM have already said that they will increase prices by 3.9% over and above the rate of inflation - and the new Ts and Cs, which you have agreed to as part of the new deal, prevents you from using this as an excuse to leave early without paying early disconnection fees. Of course if you are on a ‘fixed-price’ then this shouldn’t affect you, if it’s a fixed discount then it will.

jonbee56
On our wavelength

Yep, don't forget that the 3.9% + inflation is on the original contract cost excluding any discounts. The £62 is still being queried but I have been given "some type of start discount" that I can't figure out, but will make recompense for the £62 anomaly.