cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed calls, no number, no ring

Shadow81uk
Tuning in

I have a bt4600 home phone and I'm getting multiple "missed call" messages with no number available and also without the hanset ringing. I checked around and found a list of phones with this issue however the bt4600 was not included, just the bt8600. The issue also happened on my previous handset that was a iDect (model number) 641710130001 after I changed to using the hub as opposed to using the open reach line.

On Google searches "PBX" (phone function) came up quite often and something about "exploited" vulnerability. 

My main concern is whether the number can be hacked and used for outgoing calls as obviously I don't want to receive a astronomical bill and also will vm be able to provide a resolve to the frustration. If family calls in a emergency but don't leave a message, their last call will be knocked off the list by this irritation of a issue and could go unnoticed if (for example) coming in from shopping etc. because of the frequency of the "no number" calls.

The only thing I know about a port 😅 is boats come into them, or it tastes great with Schweppes lemonade 🤣 it is safe to say that the resolve would need to be user friendly.

Thanks in advance  

5 REPLIES 5

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Right then a couple of things;

Firstly, the posts regarding closing ports etc, is a degree of speculation (but it’s not an unreasonable thought), as to what VM might be able to do to mitigate this. But it isn’t anything that you or any other VM customer can do yourself, it’s something that VM would have to do at a network level.

Secondly, port and lemonade? Just what sort of animal are you?😉 Port should be drunk on its own, gradually, a sip at a time!😀

Thirdly, I honestly don’t think this is something that can be exploited by a ‘bad actor’. I suspect it’s an ‘annoying bug’ in some, necessarily all, hub 5s in combination with some phone models. 

Lemon Fanta and whisky is the go too for me, P+L is a new year treat.....my drinking is fast but my knowledge of tech is slow 🤣🤣🤣 thanks for the reply and the information. All going well  , I don't have to panic about any international calls suddenly appearing on my bill (so that puts my mind at a little more rest) and as for the "missed call" log....I'll just have to put up and shut up and try and remember to delete them daily until a solution  / resolve is found 😅

Thanks again 😇

Hi there @Shadow81uk 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry that you have been facing these issues and a big thank you to VMUser1812 for their help so far. 

We are aware of an issue effecting BT phones showing no number calls, and we are currently working to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Once we have a resolution  we will update the forums. 

Sheepasleep
On our wavelength

Im having exactly the same issue as Shadow81UK is having above with our BT8500 set - supposedly multiple missed calls every day, the phone doesn’t ring and the random times that it happens always end in a 3 (e.g. 4:53am, 7:13am, 9:03pm, etc). The issue has been going on ever since you changed our phone line to digital (which must be coming up to a year now). The problem is that all of these occurrences quickly fill up the answerphone call limit, even though there are no messages, meaning that no one can then leave an actual message if we’re not in. 

Is there at least a current estimated time scale on a resolution please Ashleigh?

Hi Sheepasleep 👋 thank you for getting back to us. 

So sorry to hear you are also affected by this phantom / ghost calls issue. You can see more information about this here  :backhand_index_pointing_right: Solved: Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Tele... - Virgin Media Community - 5121275 which discusses this issue at length. This has been raised by the team on community, as well as the Mods and is being investigated to provide a fix. Sadly the issue is currently still ongoing and we do not have a timeline for resolution. There was a temporary fix, however it appears the issue has persisted and teams behind the scenes are continuing to work on this, in conjunction with some external partners to try and get this sorted. 

My sincerest apologies that the issue is affecting you! We do hope it is resolved soon. If you need any further support please let us know and we will do our best to offer help! 🌞

All the best. 

Molly