cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Phone

Scorpiogirl1
Joining in

I don’t need a landline and have been trying to get it removed, as I don’t want to pay £19 a month for something I neither want nor use. However, this simple thing has proved difficult. Eventually, Virgin removed the £19 a month charge from my bill, but this is only for a period of 18 months and then it will be applied again, even though I won’t suddenly start to need the phone again. To quote Virgin’s blurb for new customers: ‘You can get broadband and TV without a phone in the package. Many of us rely on our mobile phones … more than we do a traditional landline. As no one wants to pay for a service they’re not going to use, many providers have a number of broadband and TV packages available to cater for this need.’ So why do I still have to pay for mine? Also, I recently discovered that it is actually broken and no one can get through anyway (the only people who ring are cold-callers and it’s been wonderfully quiet all year!); the line is dead and the jack has become wedged – it is no longer in the socket and I can’t pull it out of the cover either. How do I prevent Virgin from starting to charge me £19 a month again for a) something I don’t want or use and b) something that is broken anyway?

21 REPLIES 21

Scorpiogirl1
Joining in

I have found an old phone in the cupboard and plugged that into the socket but the line is dead, so it looks like I need to call an engineer to put in a new socket (for something I don’t actually need), ha, ha!

Hi @Scorpiogirl1 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. 

Have you plugged your landline into the Telephone port one on the router? Keep me posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Didn’t even know that was there! But alas, it doesn’t fit.

Hi @Scorpiogirl1 

Have you received your adapter?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

The mysterious thing that I received about one and a half years ago with a note saying ‘We’ll let you know when to plug in the adapter’ and then I never heard another thing?! Is this the reason why my phone is dead - it was switched off without telling me? Luckily I didn’t throw the adaptor away. It does fit but the handset has a continuous ring - does that mean the old phone I found is faulty? 

If you plug the phone in via the adapter to telephone port one on the router it should be fixed 🙂

Keep me posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

That’s what I did. The handset has a continuous ring when it’s plugged into the adaptor in Tel port 1. 

I'm going to pop you a PM📩 so I can help further @Scorpiogirl1 

Cheers

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the requested details via PM @Scorpiogirl1 

I've booked a technician for you to come out and have a look into the issue. You can find confirmation of the visit via your online account.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the date or time and I can look to reschedule this for you. In regards to the appointment there are some details you need to know about. There will be no charge for this visit unless:

•The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can also do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how the visit goes!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I don’t want to risk being charged £25 so cancel it please