cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot connect to the Virgin mail servers

grahamm77
On our wavelength

I cannot connect to the Virgin mail servers with Office 365/Outlook.  I have just taken my PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11 by an ISO install.  I have a local personal admin account and then I used my MS account for normal use.  I realised after installing Office 365 that I hadn’t set up Outlook to read my Virgin Email.  Office had added my MS Email account ok.  So, I went add my Virgin Email account and it failed it wouldn’t connect.  So, I then contacted Virgin Help desk by phone. So far I have had 5 calls with them and I still can’t connect.  At one stage they changed my password but that didn’t work.  Now this is the thing: When we signed up to Virgin we had 2 Emails me@blueyonder.co.uk and wife@blueyonder.co.uk.  When they added web mail they forced me to have a Virgin Email. So, now I have in addition me@virignmedia.com. The Email password they have changed is for me@blueyonder.co.uk. (the account holder).  I had to change the password on my wife’s Email so that it worked to the new password. I un-installed Office 365 and re-installed it to see if that made a difference. I still can’t connect.  As an experiment I downloaded Thunderbird. That connected with the OLD password but not the new one – (wonderful help Virgin Help Desk). Virgin have now passed this to the backroom techies who will contact me in 3 to 5 days. I am not a very happy bunny about this Virgin but I am trying to be polite and not abusive).   It has also with all these attempts left me with a messy MS Outlook configuration as it has 7 Virgin accounts that are not valid setup accounts. {I now have a post on the MS Forum as to how I can finish up with a clean fresh install of Office 366} (I seem to sometimes spend more time sorting out the technology than using it as the tool I want it to be).  I share this as maybe someone has had a similar type situation and might have some helpful suggestions.  Meanwhile I wait for Virgin techies to help me sort it out. I was a network engineer for many years before I retired so I am reasonably useful on Windows and IP/Port values etc…  Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

grahamm77
On our wavelength

After all this mess of the way VM have configured blueyonder.co.uk etc... Email address/aka the mail servers  - I give up.  Plus the very poor help desk and even complaint process.  Having struggled with this VM then dropped Email and have just about recovered all the old Email.  Some of mine coming in - go back to June !!  I decided enough is enough.  So I have taken out an Email with the cloud provider IONOS.  My initial impression of their help desk/tecnical is suberb.  They know what they are talking about.  So for £1 a month at the moment I  have Email and won't have this stupid arrangement aka blueyonder and virginmedia Emails but just one Email on my domain.