cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot connect to the Virgin mail servers

grahamm77
On our wavelength

I cannot connect to the Virgin mail servers with Office 365/Outlook.  I have just taken my PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11 by an ISO install.  I have a local personal admin account and then I used my MS account for normal use.  I realised after installing Office 365 that I hadn’t set up Outlook to read my Virgin Email.  Office had added my MS Email account ok.  So, I went add my Virgin Email account and it failed it wouldn’t connect.  So, I then contacted Virgin Help desk by phone. So far I have had 5 calls with them and I still can’t connect.  At one stage they changed my password but that didn’t work.  Now this is the thing: When we signed up to Virgin we had 2 Emails me@blueyonder.co.uk and wife@blueyonder.co.uk.  When they added web mail they forced me to have a Virgin Email. So, now I have in addition me@virignmedia.com. The Email password they have changed is for me@blueyonder.co.uk. (the account holder).  I had to change the password on my wife’s Email so that it worked to the new password. I un-installed Office 365 and re-installed it to see if that made a difference. I still can’t connect.  As an experiment I downloaded Thunderbird. That connected with the OLD password but not the new one – (wonderful help Virgin Help Desk). Virgin have now passed this to the backroom techies who will contact me in 3 to 5 days. I am not a very happy bunny about this Virgin but I am trying to be polite and not abusive).   It has also with all these attempts left me with a messy MS Outlook configuration as it has 7 Virgin accounts that are not valid setup accounts. {I now have a post on the MS Forum as to how I can finish up with a clean fresh install of Office 366} (I seem to sometimes spend more time sorting out the technology than using it as the tool I want it to be).  I share this as maybe someone has had a similar type situation and might have some helpful suggestions.  Meanwhile I wait for Virgin techies to help me sort it out. I was a network engineer for many years before I retired so I am reasonably useful on Windows and IP/Port values etc…  Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider trying the following to troubleshoot the cause:

• verify the recommended settings are being used:

Incoming (either IMAP or POP3)

Account type IMAP   POP3
    Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Server port993 995
    AuthenticationPassword Password
    SSL/TLSYes Yes
    Server hostimap.virginmedia.com pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing (SMTP)

Account type SMTP
    Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com
    Server port465
    AuthenticationPassword
    SSL/TLSYes
    Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

[Source: Email settings change]

• enable any SMTP logging facility and review its output for VM error code or other indicators that may point to a cause

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thank you very insightful person for replying.  However as an ex IT engineer I do know the PORT values for IMAP etc aka Virgin.  They are written in my Logbook.  Thunderbird Email client connects automatically and I can read my Emails from the IMAP server.  MS 365 Outlook tries to connect automatically and fails.  When I look at the settings it has used aka IMAP and PORTs they are the ones that I have for Virgin Email.  All it seems to give me as an error messages is I can’t connect to the IMAP server.  Great help.   Some of this difficulty is caused by having 2 Email settings one on blueyonder.co.uk and then they gave me virginmedia.com when they provided web mail.  No one from Virgin has ever explained this messy approach!!  Also I am having to clean up Outlook as after many attempts to connect I now have 7 false accounts.  I’m on that problem via the MS Forum.   Also don’t forget the back room engineering analysts at Virgin Media are on the case and are coming back to me in a few days time.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider creating a temporary user account in which to reproduce the issue and then use that when troubleshooting to avoid having to clean up afterwards.

@grahamm77 wrote:

… Some of this difficulty is caused by having 2 Email settings one on blueyonder.co.uk and then they gave me virginmedia.com when they provided web mail.  No one from Virgin has ever explained this messy approach!! …

it is unclear to what the issue is here, are you able to clarify?

Using Control panel I created a NEW profile for Outlook.  It still cannot connect to the virginmedia.com mail server (IMAP) connection.  I didn't create this confusion between VIRGIN mail severs and BLUETOOT mail servers - Virgin did.  No Virgin help desk or engineer has ever explained to me why I had to change to virginemedia.com.  NOR why if I connect to Bluetooth as me I read my wife's Email. NOR why there are now 2 passwords.  As you are a very insghtful person perhaps you an explain to me why all this confusion with 2 Emails on seperated domains!!! The simple fact is that Outlook mail client cannot connect to the IMAP server on virginmedia.com.  Whereas Thunderbird mail client with the previous password not the one set for me by Virgin Help Desk that was relative for blueyonder mail servers.  So I had to change the password for my wife on Blueyonder.  Don't forget the backroom Guru;s at Virgin as supposed to be ringing me to help me sort out the incompatibitlty between Office 365 outlook PC app and Virgin mail servers aka IMAP.  So if you have any more insightful thoughts do let me have them.  But thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to my post. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media consolidated email setup under the domain virginmedia.com regardless of which legacy domain your email address fell under. If Virgin Media are saying to use legacy domains, like imap.blueyonder.co.uk, then they do need to explain why.

It will be a pleasant surprise if Virgin Media do not fallback on the fact that it works elsewhere to excuse further investigation.

Thanks for all your effort.  I do by the way know all the IMAP Port SSL settings.  I did a completely clean un-install of Office 365 on my PC using a third party un-installer.  I then did an automatic set up by Outlook for Virgin Media with my orignal Virgin Media password.  Not the one they RESET.  And suprise suprise I can now read my Email from the IMAP server ok.  So somewhere in the wonderful Microsoft Office 365 Outlook setup and interaction with Virign mail servers there was as problem.  But  5 calls to Virgin Help desk has been useless.  Maybe they will remember to call me.  And maybe VIRGIN might tell me why my account holder ID is on blueyonder and my wife is still on a Blueyonder Email address.  They have never explained any of this.  But there front Help Desk don't explain things or work with you.  They just say as they said to me - You Need to Change Your Password.  Why I asked - no explanation.  No working wiht the user.  The only sensible discussion I had was with a back room Network engineer when I couldn't connect to a High Port on a server associated with my Internet Protection - never did solve that one.  No wonder Virgin get a very poor rating on support.  I have written a letter to the head office over this pathetic support situation.  But once again thanks for all  your effort.

Hi there @grahamm77, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you have been having issues with connecting to the mail servers. I can certainly understand the frustration with getting this resolved with the team. We would usually advise that a password reset would be one of the steps to try and help with this. Can you please confirm if this has been done?

Once a password reset done it would be best to delete your email settings on 360 then use the settings as shown here. If that does not work, can you please try and log in to webmail to see if you can view emails there?

If you need any further support after checking this let us know, we will be happy to assist.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

One of the things that Virgin has never explained is why my account is on Blueyonder and my original Email address but then I was moved  to Virgin for my Email.  My wife is still on Blueyonder.  When VM changed the password they did so for Blueyonder and NOT for Virginmedia.com.  So that didn't help at all.  The password for Virginmedia was unchanged.  It was interesting that Thunderbird mail client connected to the IMAP server with the OLD password not the changed one.  I even tried a new Outlook Profile - but that didn't work.  So in the end I decided that some interaction between Outlook 365 and Virgin IMAP server was the problem.  So I un-installed Office 365 completely (not an easy job aka the way MS do things).  Then I did a fresh install of Office 365.  Then i connected Outlook to the IMAP virginmedia.com server with the OLD unchanged  password.  I connected immediately.  I then restored my address book and I am up and running.  But this has virtually been all my work the most helpful advice was from the Microsoft Forum.    It only took me 2 days, 5 phone calls to Virgin Help desk (Virgin back office guru's are supposed to be ringing me - I will wait and see what they say).  Also posts on this forum with people telling me the IMAP ports etc.. which I do know from when I connected to Virgin - they are in my log book.  I have also written a letter to Virgin Head Office at my dissatifaction.  I am trying not to be a negative user or be rude.  But that has been my experience and I am not a happy bunny with Virgin at the moment

@grahamm77 wrote:

One of the things that Virgin has never explained is why my account is on Blueyonder and my original Email address but then I was moved  to Virgin for my Email.  My wife is still on Blueyonder.  When VM changed the password they did so for Blueyonder and NOT for Virginmedia.com.  So that didn't help at all.  The password for Virginmedia was unchanged.  It was interesting that Thunderbird mail client connected to the IMAP server with the OLD password not the changed one.  I even tried a new Outlook Profile - but that didn't work.  So in the end I decided that some interaction between Outlook 365 and Virgin IMAP server was the problem.  So I un-installed Office 365 completely (not an easy job aka the way MS do things).  Then I did a fresh install of Office 365.  Then i connected Outlook to the IMAP virginmedia.com server with the OLD unchanged  password.  I connected immediately.  I then restored my address book and I am up and running.  But this has virtually been all my work the most helpful advice was from the Microsoft Forum.    It only took me 2 days, 5 phone calls to Virgin Help desk (Virgin back office guru's are supposed to be ringing me - I will wait and see what they say).  Also posts on this forum with people telling me the IMAP ports etc.. which I do know from when I connected to Virgin - they are in my log book.  I have also written a letter to Virgin Head Office at my dissatifaction.  I am trying not to be a negative user or be rude.  But that has been my experience and I am not a happy bunny with Virgin at the moment

Well a sorry tale of woe, but I believe I can offer a possible explanation for what has happened here - and these are based on an extrapolation and compilation of reports from other posters on here. 

Back when the old NTL and Blueyonder companies merged and rebranded themselves as virginmedia, there was, indeed a plan to offer everyone new virginmedia.com addresses based on their existing ntlworld.com or blueyonder.com addresses, so your original me@blueyonder.com address would be 'turned' into me@virginmedia.com with, presumably, the original still working as an alias. This actually never happened and ntlworld.com, blueyonder.com and virginmedia.com addresses continue to all be live and usable although it has been the case for a long time that only new virginmedia.com addresses could be created but in the last few months, even that provision has been removed - which may or may not hint of how much longer VM intend to maintain any sort of email provision.

I can quite believe that at some point in the past, you were told by customer services that the blueyonder.com addresses were all being shutdown and hence you 'had' to have a new virginmedia.com address instead. This was simply not true, as your wife continued use of a blueyonder address would indicate - but even now there are reports on here of customers being told by customer service agents that 'all ntlworld and blueyonder address are being deleted by the end of the month' or whatever. The thing to always have at the back of your mind is that, for some reason which escapes us, the VM call centres seem to work on the basis of 'if in doubt - just make something up, anything will do!'

I have little doubt that your old me@blueyonder.com address is still actually live and accepting email.

The explanation for the login for the VM account still being the me@blueyonder.co.uk, is quite simple. This is more of a 'username' rather than an email address, and it appears that VM's system has no mechanism to allow it to change. The use of an email address as a username is perfectly valid, email addresses have to be globally unique so a good way of ensuring that your username isn't the same as anyone else's. So your VM login username is still the old blueyonder address even though it isn't actually seen as an email address.

Changing passwords when odd stuff happens? Well consider that VM's current system will be an amalgam of systems inherited from all the mergers and acquisitions in the past. WOuldn't surprise me in the slightest if the whole lot is held together on a wing and a prayer and user accounts and details could be on m ore than one system. In theory these should all stay in sync, but sometime they don't and a change of password 'kicks' the sync process off and gets everything back into operation.

Lastly, there have been one or two cases reported on here of users needing a password change for a 'secondary' email address, which isn't too easy now, calling customer services to be told either 'this can't be done' (rubbish) or the agent changing the primary email address password, leaving the one that needed changing, well, not changed. Sound familiar?

Whether this is all down to poor training or bugs in the system, I wouldn't like to speculate, but I suspect that this is what has happened to you. There was originally a password sync or other issue, you call VM who manage to change the wrong account, in the meantime the issue sorts itself out and your virginmedia.com address starts working again but with the original password - as it was never changed!

It would be interesting to see what happens if you were to try to log into your original me@blueyonder.com address with the new changed password and seeing if it works. Or it it doesn't, to see if it allows you to reset the password on it to something  of your own choosing.

Anyhow, as I said, just a bit of idle speculation - oh, and don't hold your breath waiting for any call back from VM's email gurus, or indeed the office cleaner - these things are routinely promised but very rarely happen - it's more of a technique to get you off the phone rather than anything else.