cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net email account hacked

Mat8
Joining in

Hi all

Really hoping someone can help a virgin.net hacking issue.

My email account was hacked and I received a blackmailing email (appeared to be from my account) and displaying my email password.  I managed to get VM to change the password but I’m still receiving evidence that’s its hacked.  (I’m receiving emails that password resets have been actioned on my other accounts etc).  I cant understand how they are still accessing my account if VM have reset the password.  I've also run a virus scan.   Someone suggested VM may have updated my Virgin Media accounts password but not the email password?  This is very stressful so any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Mat8 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies with the issues that you are having with your email account.

We can certainly assist you with this, we would need to bring you in for a private message in order to confirm a few details to gain access to your account and action what is required to resolve this. Please look out for the message in your envelope on the top right of your screen, if you are using a mobile device, you will find private messages under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

It is certainly not impossible that your VM account password has been changed rather than the email password (they don’t necessarily have to be the same) - but that is easily tested. If you go to https://myvirginmedia.com and attempt to log in, can you? What username and password works there? To check the mail account, go to https://mail2.virginmedia.com which takes you directly to the webmail login page and try to login there, again what combination of username (email address) and password works?

One possibility is that the ‘hackers’ set up an autoforward on your email so basically even if you change the password, a copy of every email you receive is sent to them. Got check for this, while logged into the webmail system, click on the little cog icon in the top right. Then in the left-hand pane, click on ‘email’ and then ‘filter rules’. If there are any ‘autoforward rules’ set, you can click on edit and check them. Anything you don’t recognise, delete!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Mat8,

Sabrina is currently out of office so I've assigned this to myself to pick up.

I've dropped you a PM to discuss further.

Regards,

Kain

Hi

Thanks for the really useful guidance to test.  I've just accessed the mail2 site but I cant seem to open the myvirgimedia url you listed.  Is it just the general virgin media home page?  Thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mat8 wrote I cant seem to open the myvirgimedia url you listed.  Is it just the general virgin media home page?  Thanks

Try this one  https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Kain

I've replied. 

I'm now unable to access the account and the security details are not being accepted.  I've tried calling virgin media to reset the password again but they have advised that as the account is inactive they cant reset the password. (I've used this email address for years)  They said the 'account id cannot be found in central lapd'.  They were unable to help further.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks