cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Cinema Dolby Digital sound levels

BrianRostron
Tuning in

Recently I have noticed an issue with sound levels with Sky Cinema / Dolby Digital.

Specifically: The volume levels during quiet scenes, say people whispering, seem quite high. You then come to a full on action scene, music, explosions etc. and the sound level drops to being very quiet.

So in other words, the exact reverse of how things should be.

I am sure that the feed for some programmes use a degree of compression to suit TV speakers, sound bars and similar, but this is not what is going on here. The sound is wrong. Even if compression was used, a whispering scene should be slightly quieter than the full on action scene. What we have here is a situation where the action scene is actually quieter than the whispering scene.

This does not appear to be a hardware issue, either with the Tivo V6 or my other AV kit. Other channels are fine, movies via the BBC or other channels sound fine. This is just an issue with Sky Cinema, which is disappointing considering it is a premium cost movie channel.  

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which specific Sky Cinema channels are you seeing this on?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I cannot say that I have tried all of the Sky Cinema channels, but recently I have noticed the issue on SkyCinema Premiere and Action.

Hi @BrianRostron 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your sound levels and Sky Cinema channels. We can understand the frustration this issue may have caused you and want to best help. How long has this issue been ongoing? Have you tried the sound setting as seen here?  Settings > Audio & Video > Dolby Audio > Follow content. Also, do you have the same issues with the sound directly from the TV?

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It is a fairly recent issue, maybe over the last three or four months. At first I thought it was just an issue with specific movies, but now it is clear that it is far more common than that.

There are no issues with settings, which should be clear as Dolby Digital works perfectly on non Sky Cinema channels.

Hi @BrianRostron 👋.

Thanks for getting back in touch, could you please follow this link👉 https://virg.in/fixyourtv for a quick diagnostic check. if the problem is still ongoing we may we ask what is your current sound setup, do you have any sound bars or surround sound systems and how is the information fed through them, via optical or HDMI?

Keep us updated.

Syd

This is probably an issue at Sky. There have been similar comments on their forum and third party forums on this.

I haven't got a subscription to the movie channels via Virgin Media, but the issue elsewhere seems to be with the sound compression they use on their live movie channels (something they are required by OFCOM to do - but it appears to be set up in a too aggressive manner).

See https://www.avforums.com/threads/dolby-digital-audio-issue-on-sky-q-loud-passages-sound-compressed.2... 

If you can, an answer is to download the movie rather than watch it as broadcast on the channel, as that isn't subject to the same rules / sound compression.

Virgin Media raising it with Sky would be useful 😀

@Richardr1 wrote:

If you can, an answer is to download the movie rather than watch it as broadcast on the channel, as that isn't subject to the same rules / sound compression.😀

VM doesn't provide the facility to download films for viewing on a TV.

If I want a film to watch repeatedly in the highest quality I buy the Blu-ray or even Ultra HD Blu-ray disc.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

By download I meant the version of the movie under the On Demand menu - which not only includes the UHD version of many of the movies, but also all of the movies currently showing on the Sky Movie channels.

@Richardr1 - Thanks for the link. I also note that the AVforums thread links to a Sky forum thread. The some of the later posts in the Sky thread are describing precisely the same issue that I have been experiencing. This makes it very clear that this is a Sky issue, rather than something specific to Sky via Virgin Media.

Last night I was watching a film broadcast on Sky Cinema Premier. It did not take long before the film came to a couple of scenes that suffered from going very quiet during sequences where the sound should be louder than average. I stopped watching, and a quick check indicated that the same film was available on Sky's on demand streaming service. I tried this version, and the sound was pretty much exactly as it should be, an order of magnitude better than the broadcast version.

This narrows things down further, the issue relates to broadcast Sky Cinema only, and not Sky's on demand service, which seems fine.

I honestly do not think that the reason that broadcast Sky Cinema sounds different to due to rules relating to sound compression. Maybe there are such rules, but the sound is so bad, so plain wrong, that I think it is a case that whatever compression Sky are using, they are using it incorrectly.

So clearly this is an issue for Sky to fix. I guess that all we can ask of Virgin Media (who I presume pay substantial amounts of cash to Sky) is that they highlight the issue to Sky, state that they have some grumpy customers, and politely request that Sky sort out their technical issues.