cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New VM Customer that left sky, TV channels and quality

mda99das
Up to speed

I am new to VM so apologies if this has been answered before.

I used to have Sky Q, and now am on the Volt1 package which comes with maxit TV package, and when I spoke to the sales rep, I advised them that I was leaving sky, and wanted all the sports channels that I get with sky. I cant seem to find sky sports 2,3.

I believe I have the 360 boxes, as I can speak to it and have the hub 5.

Another issue is that some of the channels are blurry, I am looking for pixelation but have only had one incidence of this. Example are Blaze, Discovery, Bloomberg and CNBC. These look like they are like the old analogue quality, whereas on Sky the definition was much better.  Any way to resolve this? I am still working my way around how VM works so apologies if this sounds very simple.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mda99das wrote:

I used to have Sky Q, and now am on the Volt1 package which comes with maxit TV package, and when I spoke to the sales rep, I advised them that I was leaving sky, and wanted all the sports channels that I get with sky. I cant seem to find sky sports 2,3.

Sky Sports don't have numbered channels - this is their schedule and these channels are in EPG positions 501-510. You can view the complete TV360 channel guide at the bottom of this page 

Apart from Discovery, all the channels you've mentioned are only SD I believe - you might well find these aren't the greatest if you're viewing on a large TV. Can you post a picture of the problem you see, onto this thread? That may help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cnbc.jpg

I took a photo today, and had a couple of split seconds of pixelation, and it hasn't done that at all before

It is more noticeable when text is scrolling across . The HD channels are fine.

Is there any way to get everything show in HD?

I tried this on the TV that was in the other room, and it did the same. I have checked the signal quality on all the TVs and it says "good"

However one thing to note, and I put a thread on this earlier, my house was internally pre-wired with RG6 cable with a distribution point in the loft. However one of the sky engineers cut one of the cables a while ago. When I had my pre assessment, the technician left me with a reel of cable, as I was adamant that I did not want any drilling and I routed the cable myself internally from the basement all the way to the loft and to the distribution point. It was there where I realised that one of the cables to the room was not functional, and had to use the amphenol cable given by the technician.  I also have a signal amplifier in the loft as the technician advised for anymore than 2 boxes you will get signal loss. I have tested the signal quality on all 3 boxes and they all say good.

However the Amphenol RG6 grade cable is superior, and I am in two minds to ask the technician if I can change the cable for the other 2 boxes, so I can future proof it. He has to come back...see my other post.

On sky everything was HD. One thing to note that on the boxes it doesn't have a screw thread, but a straight forward push fit coupling . I am aware that any metals that are dis-similar will have have a different impedance and level of conductivity. I am not sure how sensitive this equipment is to these changes?

Your drop cable was damaged and the cable in the loft was cut. I'll bet the ends were not teminated with crimped F connectors before being joined. You need to get a VM tech round to sort this out. 

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I actually fed 12 volts down the bare cable with no connectors, and there was zero volts on the other end. If there was some damage to the cable there would have been some voltage drop, but zero is a definite cut. Anyhow, this was prior to the days of sky Q which just rely on ethernet / wifi, so that cable was not needed for sky. I was very careful about handling the main cable from street level, garden, basement and then to the loft (probably about 100 m in total) 

However given that the connection is stable is testament to the high grade cable used. I don't expect the engineer to take the time that I took, they are under immense pressure from their managers. Anyway I got the the job temporarily done, still waiting for them to repull my cable.

Hey there @mda99das, thanks for reaching out to us.

I can confirm for you that I have escalated the case with our technicians team and have received an update.
They will be attending later on today to get the repull sorted and fix the issue that you have with the quality of the TV (signal cable).

Let us know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Good evening,

My engineer called me and said that he is chasing Kelly communication, but this is where the problem lies. I cannot fault the engineer, he has done a sterling job, the issue is that there is a breakdown in communication between VM and Kelly, and this is a common theme in these forums. 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there mda99das,

Thank you for this post and sorry to see there is an issue with your TV service and channels at the minute.
We would like to assist further and provide with updates from your communication with our engineers and other departments, to enable me to check these for you I will send you a PM shortly.
Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. Click this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs