cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to TV 360 or not?

g0akc
Problem sorter

We've just re-contracted for TV, Broadband and Mobile - moving to a Volt package with O2 SIM to get a better deal.

I discussed moving to TV 360 from our existing V6 as part of this with the retentions rep. It was to be free of charge if we go ahead and to align with Volt packages being offered to new customers.  I believe we can keep the existing box but would need a new remote.  The rep was going to send details with a link for upgrading.

However, I have a few questions that I'm unclear about despite reading various stuff online;

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of moving from V6 to TV 360 ?
  2. Whilst an extra box, for another room, would be useful at times I don't really want additional cabling installed - can you have an extra box without a tech visit etc. ?  Is 360 worthwhile without an extra box?
  3. Would we loose existing recordings?
  4. I had a message from VM to say equipment was being dispatched and Yodel will provide a timeslot - but what is this kit?  Is it a new remote, a new SIM card or what?  I couldn't login to my account to check as VM website keeps saying it's down.
  5. No email/link seems to have arrived from the rep - is the link available somewhere?

Question 4 and a status update likely needs to come from a forum rep

TiA for any information...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1: Fundamentally, TV360 is different to TiVo/V6. It has a much newer interface, but isn't as feature rich. newapollo has given you a few links already, there are plenty of past threads on the same subject if you do a search of the forum. Opinions on the differences vary wildly and it's very "marmite"

2: Additional boxes in TV360-land are the same as additional boxes in V6-land, except they don't have hard drives of their own and stream all recordings from the master. But they still need co-ax & internet connections just like V6

3: The conversion is a total reformat of your box - everything is lost. Series-links, recordings, the lot. Also be aware - a TV360 series link can only be setup if a programme is in the 14day EPG, unlike TiVo.

4: If you convert a V6, you receive a new remote and the rest is a software drop. If you're converting a TiVo, it's a hardware swap.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @g0akc 

The 360 box  is based on the Horizon operating system and whilst it has a number of new features such as profiles, voice, and play from start, it is lacking in many of the TIVO's propriety features which are copyright.  As japitts tends  to say, it's a bit like switching form ios to android. Some like the changes some hate it due to missing features.  Oh, one extra plus for the 360 over other boxes is that it has the Disney plus app.

Personally I prefer the 360 to the older TIVO and V6 boxes.

The following thread comparing the 360 with the TIVO/V6 is worth a read.

/Virgin-TV-360/360-Features-v-TIVO-Features 

There have been a number of updates since that thread and version 4.42 has just been rolled out.

There's also a page of 360 FAQ's and helpful hints https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 

There's a longish youtube review video showing the 360 in action https://www.youtube.com/watch 

Also this short fun Irish one https://www.youtube.com/watch 

If you do change to a 360 there is no going back. 

Unless you change from a V6 to a 360  as part of your negotiated new package there is normally a charge of £24.99 for the new remote(s)

I would advise that if wanting two TV set top boxes that you stay with the V6 for now and get the additional V6 box. You can covert to 360 at a later date should you decide to take that path.

That way (unless things change) you will have two boxes with hard drive storage as they will both be converted to 360's. 

As  it stands if you currently only have one V6 and switch to 360 then the current V6 will be reformatted as part of the over the air update to 360, thus losing all recordings and series links, and the second box you receive will be  a 360 mini box which doesn't have a hard drive.

I'm afraid you would need additional coaxial cabling for a second box, whether it was another V6 or a 360.  (Only the new Stream box  which is internet based can be used without the coaxial, also it doesn't have a hard drive and is limited to one per household and only available to those that don't already take VM TV) 

You can chat to the installer and decide how you want the additional cabling to enter the house  and where you want  it to be placed

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1: Fundamentally, TV360 is different to TiVo/V6. It has a much newer interface, but isn't as feature rich. newapollo has given you a few links already, there are plenty of past threads on the same subject if you do a search of the forum. Opinions on the differences vary wildly and it's very "marmite"

2: Additional boxes in TV360-land are the same as additional boxes in V6-land, except they don't have hard drives of their own and stream all recordings from the master. But they still need co-ax & internet connections just like V6

3: The conversion is a total reformat of your box - everything is lost. Series-links, recordings, the lot. Also be aware - a TV360 series link can only be setup if a programme is in the 14day EPG, unlike TiVo.

4: If you convert a V6, you receive a new remote and the rest is a software drop. If you're converting a TiVo, it's a hardware swap.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

g0akc
Problem sorter

Thanks both 

An option to ‘upgrade’ has appeared on the V6 - I’ll see if a remote arrives tomorrow 

Input from a VM rep would be useful re order status etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @g0akc 

The box usually auto updates to the 360 firmware around 5 days after the remote(s) arrive unless you do it your self manually.

upgrade to 360upgrade to 360

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

So a TV360 remote arrived this afternoon.  This was the 'equipment' VM said had been dispatched with Yodel.  An 02 mobile SIM also arrived today, with Royal Mail.  I'm not aware of any charge being levied as this was part of re-contracting to Virgin (we were leaving to go elsewhere, but I got a call with an attractive offer involving moving to Volt)

I've warned my wife that we need to go through saved recordings and watch any that we wish to.  We'll also make a note of series links we want to re-enter.

One further question;

"Also be aware - a TV360 series link can only be setup if a programme is in the 14day EPG, unlike TiVo."

Presumably it will still pick up later/future episodes once they get added to the rolling EPG?  So episodes say 4 weeks away will get added to be recorded in due course?

And the same different sources are added to series links  - catch up, Virgin Catch Up, off air and so on (that was always my understanding of what series links were anyway.

We generally set series links from the V6 EPG anyway.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@g0akc wrote:

Presumably it will still pick up later/future episodes once they get added to the rolling EPG?  So episodes say 4 weeks away will get added to be recorded in due course?

Nope, this is the point. TiVo/V6 allows you to set a series link from any OnDemand or past guide entry.

TV360 only allows this from the future guide, and until you set one you won't have one.

You need to be checking the EPG for any programmes that you used to have SL's for, and create a new SL as and when they appear.

Your other question, I believe this is where TV360 is different. A TiVo SL allows you to include recordings, VoD content (which creates a bookmark) or both. I think TV360 only allows recordings, and VoD shortcuts are in your watchlist instead.

But I still use V6 so am not 100% there.

g0akc
Problem sorter

Well, I've committed to it and the upgrade is in progress...

@g0akc wrote:

Yes, when you set a series link using the Advanced options depending on the series you might get different options but as an example the options are From this episode onwards, All from series X only, All from series X and onwards, New episodes only and All available episodes.

When the series ends it will pick up the next series when it's available automatically, and they are channel specific so if for example it's set for BBC1 and they move it to BBC2 for some reason that will need setting on BBC2.