cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD pixelated channels (bbc1 mainly)

HowJ
Tuning in

Hi we have a recent 360 box coming from a decade of tivo.

Noticed that BBC1 drops to very pixelated image and sometimes has an error message every 10 mins or so on most days. A couple of other channels do this infrequently too.

We reset the box yesterday but it has made no difference.

Inbetween the glitches, quality is great.

Cityfibre are installing new cabling outside, would this affect the TV reception at all?

Cheers

Howie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @HowJ

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community

I am sorry to hear of the pixelation issue. I've done a system check and he box is turned off it seems. Can you make sure it's not in Eco mode or anything like that, let me know and we can run further checks 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

What are the error messages you're seeing, and what are the channel(s) you're seeing this on? The end advice is unlikely to alter, but specifics will help here. I don't imagine another network installing cable in your area has anything to do with this.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the tips we will try those.

The error is "channel failed" which flashes up. Only get this on BBC1, other pixelated channels settle down after a couple of seconds.

Thanks again

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Channel failed is also signal-related, so refer to my previous post for the solution!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @HowJ

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community

I am sorry to hear of the pixelation issue. I've done a system check and he box is turned off it seems. Can you make sure it's not in Eco mode or anything like that, let me know and we can run further checks 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me. We get the problem less frequently but still happens.

If you are able to check the system that would help a lot thanks.

Howard

Hi there,

Sorry we're out quite a lot in the day. The BBC1 channel is unwatchable just now which is a bit frustrating but not the end of the world.

I'll write a note to leave the box switched on.

Cheers

Hi HowJ, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. The 360 box is still showing as unreachable so we've not been able to run any further checks on what may be causing the pixellation. 

Please ensure the box is on but also that it is not set in to Eco mode as this will turn the box off. It needs to be set to Active start. You can update this within the settings. 

Once you have done this, pop back here to let us know and we can then re-test the box to see what's going on for you. 

Speak soon, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi there thanks for offering to look at this. We get a station error message on the bbc1 channel of poor signal, although it mostly works fine. When it does glitch it stays like that for quite some time.

The box was already set to active start but was on 5hr shut off. Have now set to 24hr so will leave it on. 

Many thanks

Sadly @HowJ, the box still appears to be unreachable and like my colleagues, have been unable to run a flow on the set top box.

Due to these circumstances, it may be worth calling our support team on 0345 454 1111 or 150, when you're home and are able to operate the box, live on a call with a member of our team.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn