cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not use data roaming

philippeD
Joining in

Hi, i was In Italy last week, tried to switch on data, but it doesn't work, tried to log in online mobile account to manage service, but it shows"  This action cannot be carried out as the Financial Account has a soft lock active.", how can i manage then? how to switch on roaming in Europe? been with Virgin mobile since 5 years 

12 REPLIES 12

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello philippeD,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

We are very sorry for for any inconvenience caused by the temporary restriction on the account. 

Our team have been sending notifications about the soft lock to all customers who's accounts are currently being migrated over to O2. The notification advises that during the migration some actions on the account will be locked for up to 30 days. Once this is completed, the soft lock will be lifted. 

Are you now back in the UK? If so the migration will continue. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Our team have been sending notifications about the soft lock to all customers who's accounts are currently being migrated over to O2. The notification advises that during the migration some actions on the account will be locked for up to 30 days. Once this is completed, the soft lock will be lifted. 

I received my "You’re moving to a shiny new O2 sim plan" email last month and there is no mention at all of a "soft lock" in the email so I think you are mistaken about informing customers about the soft lock issue - probably why so many people have raised this issue.  It would be much better if you actually sent out a notification email warning people to turn on roaming BEFORE you activated the soft lock.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi brookheather, 

Thank you for making us aware.

We will ensure your feedback is passed on to the business for review. 

Nat

Hi Natalie

It is simply not true that your team have been sending notifications to all customers whose are accounts are currently being migrated. When I couldn't switch on my roaming I was told that all customers had been informed in the general email that was sent out about migration. If this is what you're referring to please tell me where the 30 days disruption to services is mentioned or the warning that customers will not be able to turn on or off roaming and could be entirely denied services whilst abroad? I said 'could' because although I was told by customer services that it was impossible to switch roaming on during the  pre-migration period (on the evening before I was leaving for my holiday) and the call was mysteriously cut off with no resolution, I called back and happened to speak to a different person who had the ability to switch on my roaming. It is still on, 2 weeks after my return but Virgin have mysteriously lost the ability to switch it off again!  

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Lin8, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear you feel this way and for the experience you've had. All information in which you require can be found any time through this link here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/your-move-to-o2 there are lots of links and helpful tools within that to answer any questions. 

In regards to turning roaming off - there wouldn't be a need to do so, as it wouldn't have any use whilst you're in the UK. It wouldn't bring any extra charges etc - it would only be of use when you go outside of the UK. Mostly all account once roaming has been switched on hasn't a need for it to be switched off. If this is something you would like - please let me know. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hi Ryan

I wasn't discussing how I was feeling, just trying to stick to facts, which would be helpful for all of us! 

I must be missing something here. Could you please direct me to the bit that says customers' services will be disrupted for up to 30 days before the switch and they won't be able to alter settings in the app and may well be told by customer services that it's just tough if they're going abroad and to use WiFi instead. Is it an acceptable level of service that customers have to rely on a random helpful and capable person who can actually switch on their roaming after wasting a day hitting a brick wall?

I was aware, believe it or not, that whilst I'm in the UK it really doesn't matter if roaming is switched on - the point is I may very well be going elsewhere where roaming charges could rack up if it can't be turned off. Hopefully, there's a good reason for the feature otherwise it wouldn't be there and we could all be permanently switched to having roaming on incessantly.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your update - I appreciate it. 

I can only apologise that you feel this way about the situation. Unfortunately when system changes take place - there can be issues which can arise, such as this. We obviously aim to make any transition streamline and easy for all of our customers. Also, do you have an active spend cap on the account? As you wouldn't be charged if you're going elsewhere, which should easy any worries during this time. 

I have been able to check things from our side and can see you've already been able to raise your concerns to a manager in which a good will gesture was provided for a resolution at that time.

If there is anything else we can do, please let us know. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hi Ryan

Whilst it is inevitable that issues will arise during migration, the real issues is that customers do not appear to have been informed of the issues that they will encounter, rather than that there will be issues. There is quite a difference which you seem to have missed!

Your colleague, Natalie, stated that all affected customers have been notified about the soft lock. This is clearly not the case. I only found out about it when I couldn't switch on Roaming and was told I'd been sent an email (that brookheather referred to) where all the info was provided. Neither of us have found this information and in your concern for my feelings you appear to have overlooked answering my query of where this information is. I still can't find it in the link you provided? 

Please could you tell me where it is? 

You are quite right, I did raise this with a manager. I might add that no resolution to the problem was found - in that no-one could point me to when I was given the information or even where it can be found but I agreed to allow the complaint to be closed by accepting credit on my account.  That would have been the end of it until I was made aware that Virgin are still telling people that the relevant information about roaming and other services being affected for up to 30 days has been notified, or as you have said is in a link that you provided or, as according to Natalie, has been specifically sent to make customers aware of the soft lock? 

So yes, as you maintain the information is readily available there is something you can do  - simply tell me where it is? 

Cheers 

Lin8

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your update, Lin8. 

At no point in my response did it mention that the information in which you're referring to is in the link, if you're able to refer me to where I have advised so, I will happily apologise for any confusion caused. The link provided was for all information relating to the migration which included any relevant helpful information. It seems as if you're seeking a solution to which you've already been advised isn't possible at this moment in time - I completely understand any frustration caused and I really apologise, but I am not sure where the conversation is leading to at present - you have discussed this with the team already, as mentioned on my previous post, you accepted a resolution when accepting the the credit to the account. 

If there is anything other than what has already been discussed. Please let us know. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.