cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can being out of service/coverage stop mobile number transfer?

8031brown
Tuning in

Just moved to Virgin mobile from Three. Virgin/O2 service coverage is non existent at my home. Ok 20m from house. I got PAC to bring number over and transfer seems only partly successful. Correct number is shown on Virgin account website. I can dial out if I walk up road or at home using WiFi (not sure about if it is using my BT wifi or not - the call quality is terrible).

But my phone (Android 13 / Pixel 7) shows Phone number (sim slot 1) - Unknown. If I try to call mobile from landline it goes straight to voicemail. Number transfer should have been complete yesterday.

I suppose my question is - does my phone need to be in a good phone service coverage area to receive some sort of update to tell the phone sim its new number? If anyone has any insight or info I would be pleased to hear it, thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

8031brown
Tuning in

To answer my own question - apparently not! The transfer is complete as noted on web account page and by SMS. I can receive calls.

But interestingly (to me anyway) the phone settings - about phone - still doesn't display the phone number. Maybe its a Pixel or Android 13 thing.

Hi @8031brown, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media community forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the display of the number.
May I ask if you've reached out to Apple or Google regarding this and how you can get this resolved via the settings?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

8031brown
Tuning in

Apple??? No point in trying to find out anything from Google.

I think the following is correct: the SIM sent to me by Virgin has a phone number assigned to it, when a PAC is activated that number is deleted (or at least flagged as hidden). The 'new' number is written to memory on the SIM but at a different location? but for whatever reason, the phone does not recognise the 'new' number. Regardless, the phone works.

Thanks for your reply, apologies for the confusion there.

Just to confirm, if the handset settings does it allow you to manually update the number in the handset? 

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just moved to Virgin mobile from Three. Virgin/O2 service coverage is non existent at my home. Ok 20m from house. 

O2's coverage is very poor in some areas, compared with other networks. You should have stayed with 3. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

8031brown
Tuning in

No. In Settings: About phone: Phone number (sim slot 1) is *not* an editable field/setting. Thanks.

jpeg1

well maybe, but Three was barely any better. I think my home maybe located above a portal to the netherworld. None of them work worth a damn. But the Ofcom coverage prediction map shows O2 as the best here.

Thanks for your reply, that is odd 🤔 Is this the same after you've performed a factory reset on the device?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

8031brown
Tuning in

I am absolutely not going to do a factory reset. No need and way too much hassle. Thanks for the comment though.