cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing a box for parents

CT4BB8
Tuning in

Hello, my parents have had Virgin for years but I can’t find out what type of box they have - there’s an Amazon Prime channel but it won’t let me access it, so I think they need an upgrade but I don’t know how to go about that?? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The V6 is very similar to tivo software wise but is being phased out with the 360 software. If your upgrading rather than calling for a fault I'd expect you to move to the newest software.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly do they have virgin broadband?

Yes, broadband, phone & TV

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That means they can upgrade to the 360 box. The interface of this box is completely different to the tivo so bear in mind if you call VM up to get an upgrade you might have to spend a bit of time with your parents showing them how to operate the box

Is it free to upgrade to this box? What’s the difference between the 360 and the V6? 

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The V6 is very similar to tivo software wise but is being phased out with the 360 software. If your upgrading rather than calling for a fault I'd expect you to move to the newest software.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @CT4BB8 

Some of the functions on the older TIVO box are copyright to TIVO and so aren't available on the 360 box.

If you do switch to a 360 box and aren't happy then you can't go back to the older box. 

Also be aware that you can't transfer recordings or series links from one box to another.

Read this thread which explains some of the differences between a TIVO/V6 box and the newer 360 box.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/360-Features-v-TIVO-Features/td-p/4804820 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's photos of the different boxes on this page - if your parents have a TiVo, the logical upgrade is to a V6 which runs the same software as they're used to, but on a much more capable box.

It has some of the newer streaming apps such as Amazon Prime, and also 6 recording tuners rather than 3.

TV360 is a very different software platform entirely, so consider a conversion to that very carefully. VM will almost certainly try to sell you/your parents an upgrade, it has pros & cons as newapollo has mentioned. If you do upgrade to a V6, you can always software-convert to a TV360 later on.

What you can't do is revert to TiVo/V6 after converting to TV360.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

You say that "there’s an Amazon Prime channel but it won’t let me access it". Does this mean that the box has the Prime Video app but it doesn't work? If so the box is a V6 and a reset might get the app working.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi, there’s just a channel, the box is very old. I’m upgrading them to a 360 box and saving nearly £10 a month!