cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream box error says I'm not at home

Johnof
Tuning in

Hello

I'm a new customer, the VM engineer came and installed my brand new (fibre) line and equipment (Hub 5 and Stream box) 2 days ago. 

At the time of set up the message on the TV screen via the stream box said it looks like you aren't at home, the engineer said this would probably disappear in a couple of hours which it did. But after turning off the stream box later that day, ever since I'm getting the same message and I can't watch my TV via stream. Also in the couple of hours that it was working, I couldn't watch any of the Sky Sports or TNT sports channels that I'd ordered.

I've reset the Hub 5, by pressing the little button with a pin, and I've also reset the stream box (by holding the power button down after turning it off and on at the socket) but this hasn't solved it.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to resolve this? 

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are not using any VPNs on the service?  What does www.whatismyip.com show as your Location?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No I'm not using any VPNs. My location is showing as London via that link you sent, I'm in Manchester

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Johnof 

You could try a soft reset and/or a hard reset.

Unplug the USB from the back of the Stream box and then hold the power button on the front of the box while  plugging the USB back in. (Keep hold of the power button while doing this)

Keep holding the power button in when the Welcome screen appears for 5 seconds and then let go. 

A menu will appear. Now tap the power button to select which reset option (hard or soft) you prefer. I would try the soft reset option first, and if that fails try the hard reset.

Then hold the power button again for 5 seconds on the one selected option to reset it. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @newapollo thanks for the tip but I can't get that to work. No menu appears for me when I let go of the power button, instead the tv screen goes blank and the light on the stream box flashes orange for about 3 minutes, the light then goes solid orange and then the welcome screen appears again, then the screen goes blank and the light turns blue. When I turn the box back on (white light) I'm still getting the same error message 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Johnof 

You did unplug the USB from the back of the Stream box first didn't you?  (best to do this for around 1 minute)

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi, yes I had, but not for a minute. Just tried that, still no menu and the box just seemed to shut down after releasing the button, no lights at all! Unplugged again for a minute and turned it on without holding the button down and it's working now!

Still none of my sports channels available though, but at least it's not saying I'm not at home now. Hope it lasts!

Thanks again for your help

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Johnof 

It's a relief it no longer syas your not at home.

It's possible that the codes for the missing channels havn't been sent to your box yet.  It's likely this will need passing to second level support.

Hopefully a member of the forum team will pick this up for you in a couple of days and help.

You could try phoning 150 (free from a VM landline), or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone (it's classed as a local call and free on most tarifs)  

If phoning either try option 2 (Faults)  or option 4 (thinking of leaving)

If calling Faults ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and help. 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hey Johnof,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your Stream box and glad that you have been able to get it working again with the help from newapollo. Have you spoken to the team and been able to get this resolved since you last posted?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hello

So after I got it working again, the same issue came back. But, an engineer came round on Monday this week and replaced the stream box, plug and USB cable and that issue seems resolved now. The Engineer then looked at my account, as I still wasn't getting my Sports subscription channels, and seemed to think that the account hadn't been set up properly either, possibly because we are in a new VM Fibre area (nexfibre). He got a P ticket raised and I now have my Sports channels 😀  so everything seems resolved. So it was possibly a combination of faulty equipment and errors with the account set up.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies from forum members and to you for checking in