cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review my speeds + router status

ItsMyVMService
Tuning in

Hi,

Can I get an opinion on my speeds and router status? For reference my broadband package is: M500 Fibre Broadband.

This was fine until O2 moved me into Volt, I'm now below 300mbps previously on 300Mbps I was getting 340-400Mbps down, O2 moved me to 500 and I now struggle to get 300.

My router gets about 40-70c operating temperature (the room is around 18-19c)

Speedtests:
In-game latency 40-120ms.

Spoiler
vmspeeds.png

Is this all okay/good? VM was meant to do work outside due to a faulty cable about 2 years ago but never carried it out (did turn up in a van but didn't get out - rain put the engineer off? Who knows).

--------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media Gig1 w/ Super Hub 5

My Broadband Ping - Home Broadband Connection
71 REPLIES 71

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

And what your neighbours on the same box are doing will have an effect too. Many people have to put up with a lot worse that this. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

ItsMyVMService
Tuning in

@legacy1, I see, that's pretty fair! It looks like I'm not going to get anywhere with speed or latency fixes, anyway. Over the bank holiday weekend I had some free time so I did a test with hotspot my gaming PC to my iPhone w/ 4G and saw 20-23ms "Avg" less latency than VM's fibre. That's on 4G I expected it to be double to be honest lol.

Also got a letter Thursday about price rise - had a 8 hour chat on WhatsApp with an agent today and first they offered me my package at £29.4 but then said they mixed my chat up with someone else's and "human error" but then I asked for that price too as same package and got told nope! £82 for me £29.4 for them lol. My price increase is £15 from 1st May.

EE's TV + Landline and 900Mbps for £40 sounds better, roll on 19th October! Openreach and CirtyFibre are cabling my street as I post this but no ETA of "Live" service.

--

@jpeg1 That'd make sense I guess! Since my upload latency can peak to 300ms even @ 3am.

Although would that only be other VM neighbours or other ISPs in the green street box too? Checking VM's postal checker to "signup" as a new customer only one family down my street of 24 have Virgin Media according to the VM website anyway. Seems the majority are with BSkyB/Sky UK. Mostly retired and pensioners down here! So probably only on 20-50Mbps packages.

--------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media Gig1 w/ Super Hub 5

My Broadband Ping - Home Broadband Connection