cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum guaranteed download speed

sam199912
Joining in

So i know Virgin Media have the policy that if your broadband speed is below 50% of your guaranteed download speed, you have grounds to get out of the early cancellation fee. I was wondering if anyone knows if this includes wireless and not just through the ethernet cable?

7 REPLIES 7

lotharmat
Community elder
Just through ethernet - there are so many factors affecting WiFi.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

carl_pearce
Community elder

@sam199912 wrote:

So i know Virgin Media have the policy that if your broadband speed is below 50% of your guaranteed download speed, you have grounds to get out of the early cancellation fee. I was wondering if anyone knows if this includes wireless and not just through the ethernet cable?

Any company that would be willing to guarantee Wi-Fi speeds to match the subscribed speed, especially anything over 200Mbps, would be shooting themselves in the foot!

VM only guarantee 20Mbps, and that's only on Gig1 unless you pay extra.

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

20Mb is not too bad, I believe on BT it's 10Mb?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ozsat
Superstar

If you have a good Ethernet speed but a poor wifi speed - then the issue is with the location of your kit and/or it's surroundings.

VM may help you increase the wifi coverage - but a good Ethernet speed shows the issue is NOT with the VM internet service.

@sam199912 wrote:

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"20Mb is not too bad, I believe on BT it's 10Mb?" 

I use decent WAPs and get over 200Mbs in all rooms of my house. Just shows how poor ISPs equipment can be.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I've got a cheap TP-Link router - No extenders - pods etc.

Get 105-110 Mb/s in the whole house (3 bed semi)

I've configured the router to broadcast on channel 48 for 5GHz and channel 6 for the 2.4 GHz networks as these had nothing else interfering.

Environment plays a massive part in WiFi speed and reliability.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi sam199912 👋 welcome back to the community thank you for posting! 

Sorry to hear these concerns regarding your minimum guaranteed download speed. You can find more information regarding these here 👉 Virgin broadband speeds | Broadband speed explained | Virgin Media. Including the expected ranges and minimum download speeds for your package. If the download speeds to your the Virgin Media Hub falls below our minimum download speed guarantee for three consecutive days (continuously or intermittently) and we’re unable to fix the problem within 30 days, you may be able to leave your contract without paying an early disconnection fee. You can also see more information about EDF's here if needed 👉 virg.in/EDF

In terms of Wi-Fi guarantee, what the community have already advised is correct. We only guarantee Wi-Fi speeds of 20mbps under the terms of our Wi-Fi MAX service. You can see more information about this here 👉 WiFi Max WiFi Speed Guarantee | Virgin Media. (This includes information about which packages have the service included.)
If you are having any issues with your speeds that you would like us to be aware of - please do let us know! This way we can investigate and offer further support. 
Hope this all helps, let us know if there is anything else you need! All the best. 🌞

Molly