cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message from Mc Afee

nickynackynoo
Tuning in

I have received an E Mail from Mc Afee tonight saying that my subscriptions are about to run out and that they are about to terminate my service.

I find this rather strange as I dont or never had an account with Mc Afee, what would you recommend that I do please ?

Terence M .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nickynackynoo wrote:

I have nothing to do or have used Bitcoin, what would you recommend that I do please.

As per message no 2 replying to your original post.  Delete it, it is just another scam/phishing attempt.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ignore it as it's a scam 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @nickynackynoo 

Thank you so much for your first post to our Community Forums and welcome to the team, it's great to have you here! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you have received this email and I do believe @dannylau is correct and this is a phishing email. You can learn more about this and how to handle it by checking our help page here, but it is nothing to worry about as long as no links etc have been opened or downloaded. You can always run a virus scan with the protection that you do have. 

Thank you. 

I've been inundated with this 'McAfee' spam too, and several regarding 'my bitcoin account' over the last three days (I've received two purporting to be from McAfee this morning so far). But why? Is there a problem with VM's spam filter, which is usually very effective at filtering out this sort of junk?

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @davidas99,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am so sorry to see this.

Please can you keep your spam filter updated? Here is a link to help you with this 'Click here'

Please can you also go to your settings and make sure that all of your settings are correct?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Been getting loads of these over the last few weeks.

JohnD
Strangely strange yet oddly normal.

Hayley,

Thanks. I've checked my settings, which havent changed, ie "move all spam mail to spam folder"

I also note that I can't  "teach" the filter to ignore particular mail by moving items into the spam folder

However, looking at the email headers, I am very surprised that that the filter is not working, as it is so obvious from simple manual inspection that the messages are of extremely dubious provenance; Here are a couple of extracts from two spam mails that I have received in the last 24 hours:

First one

Return path is null ie <>

Sender alias is "McAfee", and its full (apparent) email address is <karmenATnear.edecender.org.uk>

Second one

Return path is null

Sender alias is "Payment Failure" and its full email address is <xhUjsdfejVGfATemuweb.fieldmuseum.org>

(In both cases I've replaced '@' with AT just in case something tries to resolve these into clickable links.)

Although setting the Return Path is optional in the RFC standard, it being set and having the same top level domain name as the sender is regarded by many outgoing mail servers as being an indication of authenticity, indeed many mail servers simply won't transmit a mail where there isn't such a match. Spammers tend to omit this field because the Return Path is the address that any bounced mail will be returned to and as a large proportion of spam mail would otherwise be bounced such a large volume in incoming traffic could potentially cause denial of service on the outgoing domain. So my question is why is the lack of a Return Path alone not a huge red flag for VM's spam filter?

Regards, David

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Hayley_S wrote:

Hello @davidas99,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am so sorry to see this.

Please can you keep your spam filter updated? Here is a link to help you with this 'Click here'

Please can you also go to your settings and make sure that all of your settings are correct?

Many thanks,

how exactly do you suggest users update their spam filters - ever email comes from a different cloned email address and there are usually no key works in the header of mail text - they use an image

something has changed with the way VM were blocking these - asking users to update filters or make rules is as efficient as asking them to plait fog!

Tony.
Sacked VIP

nickynackynoo
Tuning in

I have nothing to do or have used Bitcoin, what would you recommend that I do please.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nickynackynoo wrote:

As per message no 2 replying to your original post.  Delete it, it is just another scam/phishing attempt.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs