cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link Deco and Volt 350

FatBadgerKilo
Joining in

I use TP Link Deco mesh in my cellar (office) & lounge as my WiFi couldn't cope with all my Alexa devices but I've just upgraded to Volt 350 and tried to use VM Connect but it can't find the router.
Do I need to switch my hub 3 back to Router mode (from modem)? If I do, I presume I'll go back to having issues as I have more than 50 Alexa controlled devices and I don't know if VM pods will be better than the Deco?
The latest test I did was over 400 mbps so I don't want to mess with something that isn't broken.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @FatBadgerKilo

When the Hub is in modem mode, the power light will be solid red.

Are you able to confirm if you're seeing the same when the Hub's in router mode?

Regards,
Daniel

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi FabBadgerKilo,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you've had previous issues with your WiFi connection. In order for the Connect App to connect to the Hub, you would need it to be in the standard settings. As you've made changes to allow the connection with your own mesh system, you may prefer to leave things as they are but it does mean you will be unable to use the Connect App. 

You will still be able to use the Service Status page to diagnose any faults but please remember, the mesh system is unsupported by us so should you have any issues, we would require this is removed for diagnostics. 

Let us know if you have any further queries or questions. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are using the Mesh and it's all working, I wouldn't bother with the Connect app as you don't need it.

In modem mode there is nothing the app can connect to btw.  If you feel the need to use an app, I'm sure there is one for the TP-Link Mesh.  

Why are you wanting to use the VM app anyway?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

use 192.168.100.1 

don't use the app

if it all works what are you trying to do?

---------------------------------------------------------------

FatBadgerKilo
Joining in

I'd more or less decided to leave well alone!
I wanted to label all my Alexa devices so I knew what they all were which I have done mostly in the Deco App but there a few labelled wlan. I think six of which are my radiators (Climastar Tiede) but I have no way of telling which is which as the Climastar app doesn't list IP addresses or MAC.
I get 60-70 mbps in the lounge and kitchen and the only room I get only 15mbps is the bathroom where I don't really need the internet 😉
I do have a permanent red light on the router even though I've rebooted which is another worry and I'm not sure how long it's been like that.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In modem mode the LED is described as "magenta", but can look red to some.  A Hub 3 in Router mode should be white, but can age to yellowish.  If it is red in Router mode, it should be replaced, as that could be a faulty overheat warning.  The aging LED's on the older Hub 3's are a bit of a problem at the moment as the colours can't really be relied on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's in Modem mode at the moment - not particularly warm to touch but the light is as red as a sunburnt Stoke City shirt.Capture.JPG

Hi @FatBadgerKilo

When the Hub is in modem mode, the power light will be solid red.

Are you able to confirm if you're seeing the same when the Hub's in router mode?

Regards,
Daniel

That's fine if it should be like that in modem mode - it's working well otherwise and isn't warm to touch so I'm sure it will be OK