cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I reboot my hub remotely?

nortonnick
Joining in

I’m abroad and my home had a power cut.

the power is now back, but the virgin hub has not come back online.

i presume it’s got stuck as it often does.

is there anyway of rebooting the hub  remotely, so I can see my security cameras etc.

virgin media are uncontactable... there is no live chat or email address. Which is pretty ironic for a communications company. So I’m reaching out to the community.

any help would be amazing,

thanks in advance,

nick

8 REPLIES 8

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Have you enabled Remote Acess?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

If it's not online then I doubt there would any way to reboot it unless VM staff can gain access another way.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Did you not test this before so you know what might happen when a power cut happens? their is likely nothing that can be done now and your IP could have changed.

Maybe get a UPS.

---------------------------------------------------------------

hammic
Up to speed

I know it's not of much use to you now, but it's why some people attach their network equipment to digital timers with battery backup, so they reboot, for instance, at 6am every day.

You could try asking tech support to send a hit to your hub - you will need to hope that the script monkeys avoid sticking to the script, otherwise just play along.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi nortonnick, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

I completely understand your concerns regarding accessing your security cameras whilst you are away.

Unfortunately, I am afraid we have been unable to reach your Hub to perform a reboot on your behalf.   

Is there anyone that could pop round and do this for you?

Thanks 

Nat

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

the power is now back, but the virgin hub has not come back online....i presume it’s got stuck as it often does.

I know this comment doesn't help you with your short term problem, but when you get back, you might want to come back to this forum and get some help to look at this idea of the hub getting stuck.  A hub having difficulty after a power interruption is not normal, and indicates some other problem.  My Hub 3 is on an overnight timer, and restarts every single day without fail.  And allowing for a few months when it wasn't on a timer, its now being running in this mode for a cumulative two years or more, sometimes with dual daily shutdown/restarts so around 1,000-1,500 restarts without "getting stuck".  And even before that a Superhub 2 ran for three years in similar manner without problems.  If anything, my experience is that a hub works better for regular restarts, and that's hardly surprising for a software controlled device.  There may be an underlying problem that can be fixed.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I'm guessing your in router mode so this might not apply but the SH1 (and I'm sure newer) has a issue in modem mode when a power cut happens and comes back the SH1 boots up fast and waits for DHCP from a router but if it waits too long it will not forward DHCP when a router boots up to send DHCP. The problem was some what solved by making the hub (newer) boot up slower.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Off topic, but anyway...

The problem was some what solved by making the hub (newer) boot up slower.

I have to hope you're wrong!  Only in Virgin Media's alternate universe would that be an acceptable solution.  Not that it affects me, with a Hub 3, TP-Link Deco M4, all run off a timer that starts it a safe few minutes before my pleasantly predictable day starts.