cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brown box and cables exposed outside house

jg68
Joining in

The Box outside my house has been broken, and the cables exposed.
I no longer have virgin, but not sure if this is likely to be dangerous, and if it can be removed?

4 REPLIES 4

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Firstly, can I put your mind at rest about any dangers, there aren't? Even if the connection is 'live' the actual amount of power flowing through them is so ridiculously low that a baby could stick one of the cables in their mouth with no ill effects at all - well probably tastes bad, and maybe eat a few spiders, but there is certainly no danger in them as such!

Removing these redundant boxes and wires is a bit of a bone of contention, judging from reports on here in the past. VM really, really don't want to do it, and you can sort of understand why! It costs them money to send someone out to do work at household who is paying them nothing, plus should you or a future occupant decide to take up a VM offer, then they need to pay again to get a tech round to run new cables.

That isn't to say that it hasn't happened in the past, but unless there is an obvious health and safety issue, loose cables being a trip hazard etc. which could leave VM open to legal action, you may have a hard time getting this actually actioned.

There is, of course, nothing preventing you from taking matters into your own hands and removing it all yourself - with the proviso that, should you want to use VM services in the future, this might well prove a bit of an issue! Like I said, there is next to no voltage in them, so it is all perfectly safe.

Thanks for your help.

Just a bit unsightly with everything hanging out.   Have taped it together for now, so will see how I go. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it's a co-ax install, the only wire VM will be interested in, is the one coming up from the ground to the first screw in connection.  Everything else can be removed.  This way, you are not making it difficult to re-instate VM should the need ever arise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HI jg68, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that this has been damaged and will send you a PM so that we can come out to fix this. 

Please check your inbox for the PM.

Kind regards, Chris.