cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a Hub5 with a firewall and static address

C-the-Bee
Tuning in

I'm trying to connect a single machine to my Virgin hub5 in static mode. Has anyone got any experience of this? Do I need to shut down the DHCP service on the Hub5?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

No need to disable DHCP you just need to set on the device

IP 192.168.0.254

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

No need to disable DHCP you just need to set on the device

IP 192.168.0.254

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As long as the Static IP address you are setting is outside the DHCP scope, you will be good to go.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

But it their still that bug where IP's outside the DHCP don't allow port forwarding to work?

C-the-Bee
Tuning in

Thanks very much for the rapid replies!  Sorry for the delay in responding - I was expecting to have to wait a week before getting anything back....

I was using 192.168.0.100, and couldn't make anything work.

What I want to do eventually is run the hub in Modem mode, so that it is just connected to a hardware firewall - a small machine running Smoothwall.  From the Firewall connections will go out to the wired machines in the house, to a web serverm and to a seperate Wi-Fi router, all on seperate lans.

I was going to approach this slowly, and first wanted to have a single stand-alone machine which could talk to the hub directly so that I could change the settings if anything went wrong. Most of the time this machine would be powered down - it would only be needed for recovery or troubleshooting when a direct connection to the hub is needed.

My next task is to build the Smoothwall, then try to connect that to the hub with another static address. Will that have to be above 192.168.0.200?  I expect to turn the hub DHCP off, because the Smoothwall will run its own DHCP service. Would I be OK to go below 200 in that case.

I also note that you raised teh issue of port forwarding. That should not impact a web server running several domains using vHosts, would it? 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Try it and see I wouldn't trust the hub to do the right thing when in router mode. DHCP on most servers run from lowest to highest on the subnet so if you put a PC with 192.168.0.2 with it on whats meant to happen is the router thinks new device wants IP no one is using 192.168.0.2 but may check by ARP and ping this then tells the router you can't give that IP out but what if the PC is off with 192.168.0.2 ? then the router can give that IP out to other device.

Thanks - that was my thought as well.

I expected to have a static front ent - the Hub as 192.168.0.1, the firewall as 192.168.0.10 and an occasionally-connected trouble-shooting machine as 192.168.0.20.  Then the firewall will output to several different sub-nets, each with it's own IP addressing.

Since that sounds complicated, I wanted to have a trouble-shooting machine connected, so that if the hub didn't behave I could get things back again without having to reset to factory defaults...